Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Help with a CD
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  18:15:47  Show Profile
About 2 years ago I purchased a CD from Jerry Austin containing 38 years of Octagon topics and technical articles from the Vintage MG Club of Southern California.
Despite repeated attempts when it surfaces from the pile on my desk I have never been able to fully open it. I can open the index page but no more. Some of the articles look to have a Triple-M content hence my attempt to open it. I have the latest edition of Adobe Reader and attempts to get help from Jerry have proved negative.
Has anyone else purchased this CD? and if so how did you open it and perhaps show me where I am going wrong.

Thanks in anticipation
McEvoy

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  18:40:06  Show Profile
Unfortunately Jerry passed away last year, I seem to remember that there was problems with the first issue of this CD. Perhaps there is someone else at the VMG that can help you.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3411 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  00:04:24  Show Profile
Hi Bob
Do you get any error messages when you try and open the CD?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  17:48:27  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

No message. I can actually open the index page from which you are then supposed to be able to open the individual entries. It is this second stage that I cannot action.

Thanks Terry for the info, will try an e-mail to the VMG to see if they can help in view of the problems with the first issue.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6177 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  18:12:29  Show Profile
Bob

If you view the files on the CD in Windows Explorer(I'm assuming you're using Windows but if a Mac I think the equivalent is Finder) is there more than one PDF file? if so, then the information that you're trying to link to from the index should be accessible in these files. In other words each indexed item would have its own PDF file and they could be accessed individually. If there is only one PDF file then I fear it will be very difficult to access the rest of it from the index as the internal hyperlinks are clearly not working and there's no other obvious way to get to the information.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  18:48:24  Show Profile
If it is anything like the early CDs produced for the Heritage Motor Centre, they used a modified version of Adobe Reader. Thus you couldn't open the files with a standard version of Adobe or use it on any operating system except Windows XP. I'm not saying they ARE the same, but just that similar things have happened.
I understand there are newer versions which don't have this problem, but having bought 3 of their CDs, I am loathe to spend the same money again.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2013 :  23:05:18  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat Lew!

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked