Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type instrument panel
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  20:34:16  Show Profile
I bought MG 748 in Nov 2012 and am having a lot of fun just tidying it a little. Nothing drastic. A bit of rewiring, for my peace of mind and a bit of repainting of the black bits which had been hand painted. They look amatuerish and just don't respect the car's provenance. However, I'm not sure what to do about the instrument panel.

Is it original style for a 1930 car for starters? I've not seen similar, most seem to be black or polished. It's pitted and I doubt it will clean up without a major effort which will in turn lead to a total loss of patina. If it's original, I think I will put up with the pitting.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  20:54:23  Show Profile
The pannel is very good all the switches are correct and the speedo, those bits are the rarest parts which are very hard to get. The ampmeter is correct too but the oil gauge is wrong it should be a eureka which runs to 160lb. But your smiths one is ok a 100lb is still more than enough. I don't know why mg used 160lb gauges. As for the pannel it should be painted black with the letters painted in white. Your pannel is very original I wouldn't replace it with a new one. Yours will paint up very nicely.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3106 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2013 :  21:16:10  Show Profile
Period photos suggest people varied their cars from standard from the start. The M-type instrument panel before the Rotax type was chrome plated brass and it would seem odd to replace this with an unprotected brass one. Good quality period pictures, such as this one in the factory, show a black finish Rotax panel .

Chrome is very difficult to photograph and all the instrument bezels, despite appearances here, are chromed.

Frankly I am absolutely with Rotax on the black enamel finish and to me brass looks glaringly wrong. But if polished brass is your preference....

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 18/02/2013 21:20:01
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  10:38:33  Show Profile
Peter, as Sam mentions both seem to have come out of the factory. I would go with what you feel happy with ! Mine is brass (although not polished). I have no reason to doubt that it was original to the car as the car was disassembled for restoration early 90's and panel / steering wheel etc were all retained(of course that is not to say that it hadn't been restored earlier than that).

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3106 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  14:22:06  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page