Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Midge Mascots
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  06:30:01  Show Profile
Were there examples produced in the 1930's that did not have MG Car Co. cast into the base?
What historical/archive documentation is available on this mascot?

N.D.Willey

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  09:26:42  Show Profile

Go to http://ttypes.org/ttt2/a-smidge-of-midge-history for an article on Midge history.

This is extracted from my bi-monthly magazine Totally T-Type 2 which is the world's largest circulation T-Type magazine.

The magazine is totally independent of all car clubs.

JOHN JAMES TC0750 (and PB0722, J3656)
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  10:07:05  Show Profile
Any Midge mascot that has MG Car Co Ltd stamped on the base is a more recent reproduction. Original 1930's examples simply have a registration number stamped on the base. Originals are very few and far between, the ones you see for sale are nearly always repros. Hope this helps, cheers Ian.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  10:26:36  Show Profile
Ian Is right. I want a genuine mascot but Im too scared to buy one as the copies are very good and you can't tell. There is a dealer who sells them I think they are £350 he says there original but I know Somone who bought one and he put another one straight on his stall at a show a couple of weeks later. They are very rare and £350 is too cheap for a genuine one.
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  10:56:39  Show Profile
Excellent information many thanks to those who answered.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  11:09:47  Show Profile
If you are thinking of buying one. I wouldn't the chances are it will be a repro even if the seller says its original. Even mascot collectors who have been collecting for years get caught out. it's not just the midge mascot it goes for all of them. Rolls, jaguar etc. if you want a repro dave Gregory sells them there around a £100.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  11:14:12  Show Profile
Talking about mascots never never leave them on your cars a shows or in public places and walk off it will one day get nicked. It happend to Somone last year at the nec motor show. It happens to people I know every year. Take it off and carry it around with you.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  12:31:46  Show Profile
Good advice.

The same applies to fuel caps such as the dog-bone fitted to the PA, inter alia. A 3 1/2" chrome bayonet cap, as fitted to most non-lightweight British bikes in the 'fifties - obtainable easily in original or repro. form - is useful as a replacement if you leave the car.

Present-day 'Bonora' repro. filler caps do not have the grub-screw used to secure the cap on to the tank bayonet which originals did and are thus easily taken off.

The MG or 'Bonora' radiator cap is usually tight enough on its thread to resist easy removal.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  20:25:42  Show Profile
I have one of the larger size. The beak or mouth is at a different angle upwards. Under the base it has REG 785249 and no side stamping on either side.

I wonder how many of this large size are about, I have never seen another.

My research some many years ago indicated that the threaded stem is slightly to the rear. None to my knowledge then had RD and certainly not obscured by the nut, the number 786849 is not a number I obtained from my research then as in the article from John’s TTT magazine.

Coincidently an RD 786849 was sold in 2008 for 50 GBP at an English auction. Its provenance was not declared.

The Midge if correct I was told is slightly twisted from the base to the right looking back from the beak front. The other number I was made aware of on the base is 746849, but I cannot confirm this.

The above was gathered over many years, years ago in the interest of purchasing original Midge’s and will certainly not be definitive, although information was obtained from Worthington-Williams.

Those who have actual original Midge’s in their possession will be able to confirm or correct my findings.

RoDB NZ
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  20:31:09  Show Profile
If Somone has had one in there possession for the last 30 or 40 years or longer if would be good to see it with some really detailed photo's
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2013 :  00:53:32  Show Profile
I recently purchased one on ebay, yes a very dangerous medium to buy anything. However this example shows good age and fine definition. The chrome has worn through in several areas, there is oxidisation to the plating and it conforms to the early examples, it comes with an octogan radiator cap which also is old. There appears to be something on one side if it is, images not clear enough, and I have not seen the base.
If its a copy its a very good one and some fraudster has gone to a lot of trouble to age it which would be impossible. Reading the archives which are contradictory in regard to markings. I will forward images once I have it in hand. I would love to see original examples held by members.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2013 :  03:46:01  Show Profile
The website “ Mascot Mania” from the UK, states for MG,

"Bottom picture is of the Midge, produced in 1935. Made from brass and chrome plated. Height 3.5" to 3.75". This mascot was an MG approved accessory for the Midget model. Marked on the underside of the base with Registration Applied For and also Reg 785249 British.

Some examples - like the one shown here - also had MG Car Co. stamped on the side. Many reproductions of these are known."

Note a different number on the base?

When I conducted my research it took over 5 years pre the computer and internet, I would wager this forum will find the answers in 5 days.

In 1995 the TC Owners Club of Perth, Western Australia, were involved in making a new Midge mascot to mark the 50 years of the TC. I have #51 of 251 produced, they are superb , mounted on an octagonal base. Our Australian friends could provide more detailed information that I can.

RodB NZ

Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2013 :  05:45:51  Show Profile
I have also noticed variations in the legs thickness/form.
With different manufacturers supplying them this seems credible in original examples. What do you think?

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  11:44:20  Show Profile
There's a repro on eBay at the moment...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370788351231

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  10:51:03  Show Profile
Greg asked

"If Somone has had one in there possession for the last 30 or 40 years or longer if would be good to see it with some really detailed photo's"

I was hoping for some replies by now, anyone got an original?

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000