Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Painting Wheels
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2006 :  11:41:12  Show Profile
I've got my wire wheels back from the bead blaster and have trued them using one of the front hubs and a Dial Test Indicator. At the moment they have a simple dust coat of aerosol primer to keep rust away. I had the solid wheels on my TD powder coated but the guy that did them advised me to seal the rivetted flanges with silicone since the powder will not flow into tight gaps. I like powder coating because it doesn't chip or scratch but suspect it will be preferable to paint the wire wheels. Is the general advice to paint with two pack ? Is it safe to do these myself, out doors, without an air fed respirator ?

Jan T

Bob Hudson

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2006 :  20:44:47  Show Profile
I have had all the wheels on my C (one old set and one new set) powder coated and they have been excellent.Good tough finish,
don't chip, reasonable cost. I would recommend it over painting.
Because it is done using an electro static charge on the wheels to attract the paint the coat is of uniform thickness.
Two pack is nasty stuff would not recommend using it with out a
proper respirator even outdoors.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2006 :  21:40:22  Show Profile
Powder coating may look nice, don't chip, etc. But they are impossible to adjust.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2006 :  17:50:51  Show Profile
Lew,

I need to have 10 wheels painted (5 on the J2 and five on my Amilcar). Your comment is very interesting : why powder coated wheels are impossible to adjust ?

Regards,

Christian Cottes
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2006 :  00:41:46  Show Profile
Because the powder coating completely encapsulates the spoke and nipple, making it impossible to adjust without destroying the powder coat.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2006 :  11:55:18  Show Profile
I have done both painting and powder coating. The problem with the latter is that if there is pitting and/or damage they are generally still visible. The painting process allows for conventional preparation such as spray fillers and suchlike and rubbing back and a much neater appearance as a result. Enamel floats off to a good gloss but is rather soft and susceptable to damage, lacquer more durable and I finish with a couple of wet coats of clear. Not as glossy as either of the other two but gives me the all round best result.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2006 :  12:12:33  Show Profile
Powder coating was not available when the car was made so what is wrong with using either cellulose or stove enamelling? Both of these were contemporary finishes - and don't flake off like powder does. My Austin mudguards were PC'd by its previous owner and won't take a decent polish. Cellulose and enamel do.
To paraphrase Dr. Johnson, ' Sir, I do not undertake to say that it is the best, it is sufficient that it is the original'.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2006 :  18:08:11  Show Profile
I am not sure if you are aware of this but if you have powder coating that is chipped, you can take it to a powder coaters and have the item put back in the oven and hay presto! It comes out like new again.

Rodney.
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  15:05:42  Show Profile
I have just had 4 wheels powder coated (red) and pleased with result.All pitting and blemishes have been smoothed out nicely.I realise that spoke adjusting could be a problem but it would be if painted by other means as well. Simon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000