Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 F0313 The story so far
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  17:42:31  Show Profile
From a mere dumb iron in a rusted out fire damaged chassis acquired through eBay I now have nearly everything needed to rebuild this F Type Stiles and am waiting for the finances to catch up before commissioning a new chassis.

This has taken 5 years and involved buying the remains of another car F0984 to provide the running gear, chassis brackets, etc. The engine and gearbox came from someone who had them spare under their bench and the body is from another Stiles which has been totally rebuilt with new wood and skin. The original is certainly fit for purpose as patterns and may even be reusable.

Ian Ross sourced bonnet sides and dashboard for me, thank you Ian and Greg has sold me a complete instrument panel, thank you Greg... F0984's chassis is being swapped for some difficult to find bits, hood frame and bespoke brackets etc.

So then David Downes came on the scene and found the record of the car at the Kithead Trust which gave the details of the owner in 1962. I was able to contact him and he has filled me in on the car's history from 1958 till it was destroyed in a barn fire. He also tantalisingly said he might still have some bits!

Mike Allison has filled me in on the car's early life, first owner D Murray who might be the man who founded Ecurie Ecosse, the Scottish motor racing team. The car was sold as a chassis to the Scottish Motor Traction Company in December 1931 and delivered to Mr Murray in January 1932. It had some trials history in his hands.

So if anyone is researching their cars and comes across a mention of GG7531, probably in the context of Scottish trials in 1932/33, I would be delighted to hear.

And if anyone knows of avenues of research that I might follow please let me know.

Cheers

Peter Lansdown

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  18:03:30  Show Profile
Hi Peter

Congratulations on your progress - a Stiles bodied F type is indeed a rarity and a very pretty car as well.

I have been through the L2 files at Kimber house and found Scottish Motor Traction Company supplied a couple of cars in 1933. They must have been a main agent?

I wonder if they fitted enamel badges to the cars they sold?

George
L2023 and NA0960

Edited by - George Eagle on 26/03/2013 18:05:41
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2013 :  15:27:43  Show Profile
Enamel badges.

See the comments from alan witham, Powerplus under the D0254 thread.

SMTC was the wholesaler, it was probably A&D Fraser who had the enamel badges, though the one on VD3424 is bakerlite and engraved and from CS Grant of Central Motors Glasgow. I think he got the car direct from Abingdon as SMTC doesn't feature in the file and there is quite a bit of correspondence about guarantee issues.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000