Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 D Type Chassis D0254 Reg Number ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  08:13:34  Show Profile
I am clutching at straws here guys, but more obscure information than this has has been found on this Forum before.
The Chassis file for D0254 has several letters in it, but only refers to the car by chassis number not Reg number. There is no documentation with the chassis, but it would be nice to trace the original number rather than have an age related one, or find the log book.
The D Register are looking into it but have nothing on their files.
Colin B has info on a lot of D types but nothing on this one,
The Kithead trust say that with just a chassis number they cannot help.
Built 6 Nov 1931.
Apparently the car was delivered to A&D Fraser, the main agent in Glasgow for Matthew Cleland Currie of Wishaw Cottage, Wishaw, associated with the Scottish Motor Traction Co 6 Nov 1931. First Registered 19 Nov 1931(Scottish Reg Number ?)
The next owner was James W Wilson, St Andrews, Hamilton Drive, Bothwell,(1933) and thats all I have.
Any information or suggestions what to do next would be gratefully received.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 24/12/2012 10:24:58

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:19:38  Show Profile
My F Stiles passed through the Scottish Motor Traction Company, it is GG7531 a Glasgow number... and I think was Jan 1932.

Good luck

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 20/12/2012 11:20:18
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:26:36  Show Profile
Hi David,

Have you spoken to Michael Worthington Williams? He is the editor of 'The Automobile' magazine. He is an expert in reclaiming lost registration numbers and has helped me several times over the years. He may be able to give you some advice on how to proceed. Worth a try.

Good luck, Ian.
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:34:31  Show Profile
I had a similar problem with a BSA motorcycle with only a frame number - as per car chassis number.

I knew it had been delivered to an Essex address - discovered the original Essex registration records still exist in the county records office. Spent a day there searching the ledgers. In the 19th of 27 I found the BSA Frame Number and thus the registration which I have reclaimed. Also gave original owner details as well but you have these already.

The Kithead Trust has registration records for Glasgow where your car appears to have been delivered. Maybe they should be contacted to see if you can visit and do the time consuming search of their records. I guess their volunteers just do not have the time to search other than by registration number
George

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  11:36:38  Show Profile
And if you do pay them a visit, could you keep an eye open for anything on GG7531, I intend to go and look myself one day.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  08:37:00  Show Profile
Thanks for all the help guys.
I have taken on board all of the above, and will post back as soon as I get any replies. Positive and negative.
Peter
If I have to go up to the wilds of Droitwich and my search has not drained me unduly I will certainly keep an eye out for yours.
Any other suggestions still gratefully received.
I never cease to be amazed by the help one gets from this forum, and the occasional humour !

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  17:11:15  Show Profile
The DVLA are strict about proof of an original registration and will only accept "official documentation" i.e a genuine old tax disc, log book or MOT certificate. They appear to be more vigilanr about registration numbers than the age of the car. Cynics may point out re-issuing of an original number is free but you have to pay for an age related plate.

Happy Christmas

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  11:53:24  Show Profile
Jan,
Apparently if there is a card in the Kithead Trust that lists Chassis and Reg number, the original reg can be obtained from that.

From the Kithead Trust web site Wishaw used GM Reg numbers. So I will go up there in January and start a search.
G,GA,GB,GD,GE, GG were all Glasgow numbers so I might have to look through them as well.
VD,V,VA,were Lanarkshire. Might take coffee and emergency rations. If time permits I will look for GG 7531 Peter, but might be punch drunk by then.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 22/12/2012 12:16:11
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  12:16:39  Show Profile
Hi David,

I've tried the Kithead Trust and recall paying them a modest fee for them to search their records for me - unfortunately without success.

If you need to search records in Glasgow or Lanarkshire let me know. I live locally and would welcome the opportunity to do some slouthing.

Have a good Christmas

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2012 :  16:55:00  Show Profile
Some possible leads are coming up
Would GG 5687 and Mr Brian Wardman (around 1954-1957) ring any bells with anyone with regard to D0254.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  19:21:08  Show Profile
I heard from the Kithead Trust today and GG5687 is associated with D0315
So Iam still hoping for any leads before I go to the Kithead trust next week

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  22:44:35  Show Profile
David,

I have dealt with Kithead Trust who conducted searches for me and I was successful in obtaining the original registration for my car. I had the same data as you ie chassis no, date of original registration, dealer's name, buyer's name and make of car.

If the Glasgow records were the same as Edinburgh, the listings of original registrations were recorded in date order so it is quite easy to locate your car's record when armed with the data above.

I gave the details of my car to Kithead Trust by post, they conducted an initial search on payment of a small fee and on payment of a further (larger) fee, a certified copy of the original entry on the listing was sent to me - and no trip to Droitwich required.

The certified copy of the original entry will satisfy DVLA's requirement for evidence of the original registration.

Best of luck,

Alan Whitham
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  23:43:12  Show Profile
In a separate posting, I have enquired about any possible history of PA 0921. So far I've drawn a complete blank, and continue to miss any ownership information prior to 1964.

I contacted the Kithead Trust and their answer was in part, " The only surviving Surrey information is a card index which we hold but this was basically a location record. It does not give first or intermediate owners and only very rarely the last owner ... ". And this was basically the end of my correspondence.

Does anybody think that contacting Mr.Michael Worthington Williams, would be of benefit, and if so, how do I reach him?

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  23:56:16  Show Profile
Try Google; The Automobile magazine; any Bonhams vehicle catalogue.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  08:17:57  Show Profile
I paid a visit to the Kithead Trust yesterday, with no luck. Went through GM, GG, VD, for the dates I have and for a few months either side. . The guy said that if it had a personalised number, either new or transferred from a previous car, then it is virtually impossible to trace. So it might be an age related number for D0254 when it looks a bit more like a car.
I had not fully appreciated that Reg numbers were issued sequentially, so if you have a date for the registration of a car, 19 Nov 1931, then if it is in Glasgow, GG is the only Reg letters that apply, as GE and GD would be too early, and what ever came after, too late.
Also, some dealers were issued a block of numbers for their new cars, and if not allocated say within a few months they were returned to the issuing authorities, and hence a search is needed a few months either side of the Reg date.
Hope this helps someone.
Now I need a picture of D0254 with one of the owners to see what Reg it wears, and then try and trace that number !!!!!

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 10/01/2013 08:20:44
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  17:53:44  Show Profile
I have just sent David a nice email. He found details of F0313 through the Kithead Trust which allowed me to get in touch with a previous owner who might even still have some bits from the car!

I have reread David's initial post which gives A&D Fraser as the main agent in Glasgow and also mentions the Scottish Motor Traction Company. these two companies appear in my chassis file too. Does anyone know the relationship between them?

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000