Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lost KN located in Québec
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  02:21:54  Show Profile
KN0461 ?? uncovered in Montreal

A Montreal Vintage car club starts off their season with an all-comers display held in a local armoury. This is an opportunity to show first-time cars that have been in long-time restoration. Montreal is 100 kms from me and I chose not to go. But I got a call from a chap who told me there was a "very old MG" that I might like to see. I arrived about 4:00 this afternoon (Sunday), just as the show was finishing and saw to my amazement, a KN Pillarless in dark blue, just being covered up and rolled into its trailer.

Only with difficulty, did I convince the "owner" to uncover the car and allow me to take a single picture (I actually took 2), after which he immediately re-covered the car and rolled it out of view. From the picture, you will immediately realize this is a Left hand drive KN!

From the "owner" (I was far from convinced that he was the owner as he spoke only French with me and seemed quite vague on simple questions), it turns out his late father acquired the car whilst working in the banking sector in Singapore in the late 1980s. The car was shipped to a shop in the Philippines where the conversion to LHD was made. Other changes included hydraulic brakes and safety glass (needed to pass strict Québec requirements). He declined to indicate where the car has been in the interval.

I wish I could be more specific, and I'm hoping he will contact me. He was most elusive regarding his coordinates but I will find him. (like trying to hide an elephant!)

However I plan to contact Dr. Ivor Thevathasan, who I have met several times, most recently on a trip to Singapore, as he is well connected in the MG scene there; and find out if this is the KN that he spoke to me about.

Always fun when one uncovers a lost MMM MG!

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3239 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  11:02:26  Show Profile
Hi Gordon,

Apart from being left hand drive the car looks to have been well restored.

Did you perchance manage to obtain the chassis number?

George
Ll2023 and NA0960
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  11:58:37  Show Profile
Is this perhaps a date-related posting?

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  12:05:44  Show Profile
Gord, what a wonderful find. If you find out any more information, please let me know. I would love to meet another KN pillarless owner with a car orginally supplied by Smith Auto in Croydon. Many years ago there was another KN pillarless in Ontario, now resides in Europe somewhere? Could it be the same KN??
Bob Canada
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3239 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  14:10:36  Show Profile
Dick - you got me wondering if it is a spoof!

But the lettering on the key fob looks the right way round?

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 01/04/2013 14:11:08
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  16:16:06  Show Profile
And also the MG on the Smith Auto Bros Croydon badge is correct, along with the tachometer numbering.
Bob, Canada
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  16:39:19  Show Profile
Dr. Ivor Thevathasan from Singapore is listed in the 2012 directory as owning an unidentified KN, so likely this is the car.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  19:30:21  Show Profile
Could this be a early photo of the "Philippines" period, when the car had a General Motors (GM?) key fob !!
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  20:49:17  Show Profile
You got it Gerhard and and George.

I just got a little careless with the Key fob.

Happy April 1st!

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

PS:- What's life without a bit of levity ...
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  21:22:08  Show Profile
Best fun since the spaghetti farm on panorama

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: