Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  16:42:59  Show Profile
Regulations and entry form are now published on the main MGCC web site - if you can navigate the maze enough to find them ! It seems that the MMM race is almalgamated with three others - T Types , 'Iconic' 50s sports cars , and FISCAR ( No , nothing to do with NASCAR - apparently it means FIfties Sports Car Romp (?) - so we may well have a bit of speed differential there . I didn't look at the cost of the entry fee , as up 'till now I have had a good Easter weekend .

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  17:34:25  Show Profile
Don't read this Fred until tomorrow. £295 plus I presume a fee for a transducer.
http://www.mgcc.co.uk/images/mglive_sr_and_entry_form_2013.pdf
Fifties Sports cars !! Healeys, Astons, Loti,
http://www.fiscar.org./
T types !!!
Porches and Ferrari get TWO 25 min races each !!!

2 years ago with the T types was pretty scary and this sounds even more so. It puts my entry at Silverstone in doubt. What do the other potential racers think.
It may well be just the Sprint on the Sunday for me sadly. We seem to have this same expression of dissatisfaction every year.
Peter G usually comes up with some words of wisdom.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 01/04/2013 18:09:04
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  20:16:06  Show Profile
David
It is all about numbers and economics.
Where are all Triple-M racers to fill a grid?
If there were enough Triple-M racers there would be a race. However with the known number of Triple-M Licence holders today that is unlikely.
It is simple economics, the meeting cannot run without full grids which means mixed races and invited and " fully paid for" races such Porsche and Ferrari races.
George
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  20:29:33  Show Profile
I understand that George, but last year we ran with pre war cars. That's what we need, a grid of similar cars not cars with a huge difference in speed and handling characteristics. A VSCC type race.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  21:13:04  Show Profile
Shame about the race, last year was great entertainment to watch and seemed to be successful. I was potentially targeting next yrs race 2014 as my first entry (saving up!) and I have to say that puts me right off!

By the way any one have an idea how to enter the sprint? I never got the safety fast info?

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  21:53:40  Show Profile
Hi George,

You could well look at it from the other side: Schedule a proper Triple-M race and entrants will follow. I have no doubt there's people about that would love to give it a go, but who won't even contemplate it with these grids that will only provoke danger!
A lower price would no doubt help too! How about a gesture from the Club towards one of the smaller Registers? Pay the difference for the lack of entrants. The audience cleary loves seeing them being raced, however few!
And if the track is so very expensive that Ferraris and what not have to be asked to join for the fees they are willing to pay, perhaps it is time to look out for a cheaper venue and return to being an MG Car Club event ...

Cat
Go to Top of Page

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  22:23:25  Show Profile
I wholeheartedly second Cat's suggestion. For 25 consecutive years we planned our annual trip to England around MGCC Silverstone. 2004 was the last one for us. By '04 Silverstone was a shadow of what it had been and was going from bad to worse. It is very disappointing the way things have played out. How about Donnington or Castle Combe? Someone must want us for a reasonable fee.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  08:30:20  Show Profile
Hi all,think the general opinion is that it needs the venue changing. Reed, Castle Coombe is slight grief as they have very strict noise limits,Donnington would be a much better option and I think most of the MMM racers would agree a much better circuit to compete at.Thought the whole meeting has been lacking the atmosphere of years gone by and last year was terrible. George,getting rid of a certain senior member of the racing commitee who seems to invent the blue book rules to suit himself would also help and maybe lure back a few MMM racers [and indeed racers from other championships] that were put off by his rudeness and attitude towards them last year!!!!. Regards Oliver

Edited by - O.Thomas on 02/04/2013 09:00:57
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  11:51:27  Show Profile
Hi Oliver and all

Firstly welcome to the Forum Oliver!

The subject of MG Live! was widely discussed on this Forum last year. Also last year the MGCC invited members to attend an MG Live forum in Birmingham. This would have given all attendees a good chance to fully air their views and make suggestions as to the format of future meetings. Dick Morbey and I attended but sadly the attendance was very low.

From the spectators viewpoint the wide open spaces of the GP circuit at Silverstone make for a dull spectacle as against the use of the old club circuit, but I expect the drivers do enjoy it. I certainly enjoyed my races on the club circuit which made for closer racing.

From my own point of view I think Donnongton would be a better venue with a challnging circuit and excellent spctator view points. It also covers a smaller area and might make for a better Club atmosphere.

Those who attend MG Live with their families probably find it is still a good family day out with plenty for the wives and children to see and do?

George
L2023 and NA0960

Edited by - George Eagle on 02/04/2013 11:52:30
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  12:12:57  Show Profile
For those who would probably only do one or two races, the cost of beginning is now far to great. £300 entry, overalls helmet and gloves would be about £500 (ebay may help!) plus comps license (and training day?) add up to rather too much for a once a year run out in an your standard car - you need to be a regular racer to justify the cost. Having said that, my few races stand out as some of my happiest memories!

Its worth adding though that racing with cars of vastly different capabilities is not much fun - we need to invite Austin 7s and Rileys, more in line with our cars.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  13:46:44  Show Profile
While we are discussing different possible venues for MG Live , why has no one considered Snetterton ? VSCC held an excellent meeting there last year , and all drivers seemed to enjoy it . Furthermore , it is 'correct' for our cars - no rushing down the Hanger Straight at peak revs waiting for something to break ! And yes , there is room for all the 'entertainments' . And while I am at it , who says that the competitors prefer racing on Silverstone GP circuit rather than the International Circuit ? Name two , please .
Go to Top of Page

Paul G

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  14:04:47  Show Profile
So much for the MG Live Forum then? As a mere spectator of many years standing, I at least took the trouble to complete the questionaire, endorsing I believe the thoughts of many MMM competitors who have always made the event for me. I remember waiting avidly for detailed publication of the the survey results and a report of the Forum but I guess I just missed it? Hope some of you take part anyway as I've just ordered my tickets!
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  15:37:44  Show Profile
I too contributed my views re MG Live, to the MGCC, but have not seen any writing setting out the conclusions of the Birmingham forum. However I am coming to the conclusion that the MG world has moved on and I like many others have been left behind. I am quite happy about this, as I do not want to 'move on' in the direction which MG live has gone. I will attend the event this year but I do not have any great expectations for significant change. The only reason, I still go, is to meet Triple-Mers who I may not otherwise meet. However there are some 'old-car' people who have already opted out and I suspect there will be more in future years.

I am not a defeatist just a realist. If you drive prewar cars you are in a minority. The MGCC has to meet the needs of the majority.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  17:14:41  Show Profile
Hello folks,

Maybe it would be helpful if I were to add a comment, even though some of the sentiments expressed above (and below) are largely repeats of a similar thread last year.

I appreciate that we Triple-Mers are fervent enthusiasts for our particular cars but, as Peter Scott indicates, we have to accept, whether we like it or not, that we are just one element of the wider MGCC constituency. The MG Live weekend is very much a MGCC affair and naturally we would like to have the largest possible Triple-M involvement, especially in the race programme.

Here's the problem: The race grids for Silverstone need to be around 40 to be viable. And yes, I know, the GP circuit is not to everyone's taste but equally nor is the short circuit.

Somewhere else then? Well, that was fully aired at the MG Live Forum, which incidentally was very poorly attended, despite an open invitation for all Club members to take part. I can assure you that all opinions were given a lot of air time. For example, Donington may have some race potential in future years once all the infrastructure work is complete, but as a venue of the type that MG Live has become it lacks the space.

Turning to the race itself, the Triple-M Register committee knew and accepted that we would be sharing a grid with others. That was/is inevitable when you consider that in the past 4 years, 'our' cars entered in the Triple-M race numbered variously 8,10,14 and 15! I don’t know how many Triple-M racers have current race licences but I mean to find out!

What is disappointing that 'our' cars are to share the grid with cars from the 1950s - a fact which some of us only learned about after the arrangements had been finalised. A pity, that! Room for improved communications, I fancy!

In last year's pre-war race we shared space with Motor Racing Legends cars but this will not be repeated in 2013 because they (who paid a significantly higher entry fee than MGCC entrants) could not justify it on grounds of cost/benefit.

Perhaps, as some have already suggested in these postings and directly to me, the answer is to sit down with the race organisers and other interested parties to ensure that a more appropriate scenario is created for the 2014 event? A more balanced grid - assuming a pre-war theme is desired - would be to establish a more formalised relationship with the VSCC and perhaps other one-make car clubs of that period. So at least now we have a plan!

By all means shoot the messenger (actually I'd prefer it if you didn't!) but I hope these comments provide you with a realistic outline of the real world in which we have to exist.

Let me finish by responding to Oliver’s maiden posting on the subject of noise. It is true and highly regrettable that one or two of the Triple-M racers at last year’s meeting were roughly handled by a particular scrutineer. Furthermore it is a fact that the contract between the club and Silverstone last year contained a requirement that noise restrictions would apply. Regrettably this requirement was not communicated to the racers in the race documentation and therefore considerable confusion arose on the day between the race organizers (who were aware of these overriding restrictions) and a consultant to the circuit (who was not aware of the restrictions and therefore wrongly allowed an exemption under the MSA blue book).

All this went wrong because of less than adequate communications from the organisers. For the 2013 race it is clear for all to see that noise restrictions and monitoring will apply. It is to be hoped that the noise testing is done in a correct manner – i.e. not in an enclosed area, etc., so that a correct outcome can be achieved.

I’m sure there is a great deal more than can be said on this subject, but I hope this posting covers the essentials and gives some optimism about how the future might look.

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  17:34:33  Show Profile
Dick , many thanks for all that . With regards to the circuit , I am sure all the MMM racers would prefer the International circuit to the GP or the 'club'circuit - or does that no longer exist after the modifications to the GP circuit ? Donington Park is mentioned as a possible alternative in future years - yes , a good drivers circuit with great history and not too wide , but I believe circuit hire is a tad expensive . It , too , has severe noise limitations , so our cars don't disturb the aircraft at the adjacent East Midland Airport , or the Sunday Market . I completed the MG Live questionaire which probably went into File 13 , but short of a command by HM the Queen would not voluntarily go anywhere near Birmingham !
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  17:50:59  Show Profile
Fred,

Unfortunately the 'old' International circuit, which we all liked, does not now exist following the changes to the Grand Prix circuit a couple of years ago.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000