Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  17:52:00  Show Profile
With great pleasure I have gone to Silverstone several times.
But that pleasure largely comes from the drive over and other time spent with friends.

Some of the racing is entertaining, for me that are the races where friends compete.
Having a friend compete in triple M race has triggered me to turn my D in to a special, so please do anything to keep triple M racing alive until I finish it and can join in!

So my call is two fold.
First keep racing them any way you can in as big numbers as possible.
Then you are a true partner in the discussion to change MG live because the current is more circus than MG event!

MG live now is a bit of a schizophrenic event part racing meet part circus part car meet.
perhaps we need to separate the identities?

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  20:08:08  Show Profile
Onno race at VSCC events as several members of this forum do.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  21:07:34  Show Profile
I'm sorry to say that the last 2 MG Live's have been the most boring car related events that I've ever attended. Watching cars pootling along a grand prix circuit is less entertaining than standing on a motorway bridge. The rigid ranks of cars in lines is a total yawn and all the registers are very introspective. The autojumble is sparse and overpriced. There simply doesn't seem to be any "joy".

The pleasure for me is the drive there and back and meeting my friends. The stunt display was excellent and we watched it twice!

(Yes, I did fill in the questionnaire).

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  22:33:27  Show Profile
Thanks for the update Dick. I was aware that there was to be a forum to discuss MG Live but had seen no reports. I hope I'm not speaking out of place, but the real problem is the venue itself. Silverstone has become an "inhospitable" place to hold the kind of event we would all like. Example: no more Friday admission. Now I'm not implying that the circuit owners don't have adequate reason for keeping us out - I'm sure they do - its just one of a great number of signs that Silverstone Circuits has outgrown the MGCC. And the cost to hire the circuit must now be appalling. Hence the current entry fees and race costs. Surely there is a circuit with a more relaxed and welcoming attitude that would truly appreciate the MGCC's premier event.
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  10:51:17  Show Profile
MG Live! Survey Results
The full results of this survey were published in October 2012.
They are to be found in the Members section of the MGCC website.
They are in the list of updates dated 22.10.12.

Triple-M racing
Dick Morbey and I have contacted Dave Saunders, MGCC Motorsport Director, to ask his advice in developing Triple-M racing within the club.

George

Go to Top of Page

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  19:53:49  Show Profile
For some reason the survey results document will not load for me. Anyone else had a look? If so, what were the results?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  20:22:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RYates

For some reason the survey results document will not load for me. Anyone else had a look? If so, what were the results?

Reed

I had the same problem. It would download about a third of the file and then hang up. I tried it three times but had the same result.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  09:11:46  Show Profile
Peter and R Yates
I have sent a message to Chris Seaward MGCC webmaster about your problem
George
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  09:22:48  Show Profile
All
Just spoken to Chis Seaward
The document appears to down load correctly at his end.

However accepting some are having problems PLEASE email Chris directly at ChrisSeaward@mgcc.co.uk and he will email you a full copy.
George
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2013 :  11:19:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Wilder

All
Just spoken to Chis Seaward
The document appears to down load correctly at his end.

However accepting some are having problems PLEASE email Chris directly at ChrisSeaward@mgcc.co.uk and he will email you a full copy.
George

The file does indeed down load Ok today.

Thanks, Peter
Go to Top of Page

dennis wharf

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  13:19:51  Show Profile
All

Of course George Wilder is right regarding costs, and making the event pay, however, as so correctly pointed out by David Downes, among the people we should be working with must surely be the VSCC and 750MC. These two traditional car clubs have far more in common with the MGCC than either the Porsche Club of GB or the Ferrari OC, and if we do need a couple of high profile races to aid the operational costs, why not modern F3 or Formula Ford, something to add real contrast, and look right on a modern circuit.

Until more recent years MG Silverstone was run exclusively for MGCC members, so I have to agree, if the venue is now so expensive that our own members are pushed aside for more lucrative non member races, whats the point? Its also worth remembering that back in 1948, along with others clubs, but by far donating the largest amount, members of the MGCC put up the money to buy the old bomber station from the MOD, the intention being to enable club drivers to have somewhere to race without interference into the future. Seems that fundamental's been forgotten along the way.

As the annual premiere MGCC race meeting, surely its only right that our own members should have the opportunity to race their cars against each other, and owners of other similar cars, in the true spirit of the original meeting 63 years ago. To this end therefore I would suggest the club Championship co-ordinators should be asking why there are no actual active racing representatives on the MGCC racing committee to oversee how the event is run? Currently the racing committee consists of Dave Saunders, Ron Gammons, Steve Carr, Geoff St John Mitchell, and Piers Hubbard, non of whom compete regularly in any MGCC Championship. I'm not suggesting for a moment that club members interests are not considered first, although minutes seem to be in short supply, but the racers clearly need to be represented there, so need to present a coherent plan to carry forward as an "item for debate" at the next MGCC Council meeting. This is correct club procedure, and if raised by the Branches will be considered by Council as are all other suggestions. This is the only way racers will get the chance to have their concerns seriously debated by the racing committee - by being on that committee. It could well be Porsches and Farrari's are the only affordable option, equally 750MC and VSCC may never have been considered, either way, unless you are on that committee you will never know or be ably to influence the outcome.

Our club was established in 1930 on the basis of helping those who wished to compete using MG sports cars. For this reason alone therefore, it seems those who do actively compete, especially with Triple-M cars, should be shaping how this important element of club activity is run and organised. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  13:56:51  Show Profile
Well said Dennis.
All the more galling, and I think the same has applied for several years, the programme seems to feature a MMM car racing, even though it is unlikely the paying public will see many of our cars being exercised as they should, and the fact that the organisers have not really wanted us there for some time now, or at least been unwilling to listen to our comments after each meeting.
Put a Ferrari on the program !

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 08/04/2013 15:09:30
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  18:58:39  Show Profile
Hello folks. Look, we are where we are and despite the frustrations, disappointment and objections voiced by some, we are trying to do something about it!

As far as 2013 is concerned the die is cast, but the should not deter any Triple-M racers from signing up for the race. Indeed we would encourage them to do so. (Before the jibes start I acknowledge that it's easy for me to say as a common PA road user, I know!)

IF the outcome of the 2013 race does demonstrate a polarisation of the grid, one could argue that it will add to the realisation on the part of the race organisers that a better alternative must exist!

That takes us on to 2014. We are already engaged in detailed exchanges of views with Dave Saunders about the form that 'our' race might take. He makes the (arguably) reasonable point that if we want to achieve a particular situation, we must make the running. That's fair enough, although any planning for next year must start on the basis of mutually agreed objectives. The dialogue will start shortly.

If one of those objectives is that the grid should include a greater preponderance of pre-war cars then an alliance with other Clubs - VSCC etc - as has already been suggested, is definitely the way to go. We do already know that the VSCC will be reluctant to pitch in with us if 'our' race lies within a fortnight of any races they happen to be organising, but I don't see that as a reason not to try!

Please leave this with us. We already have one respected and successful Triple-M racer (he's not a Committee member) champing at the bit to become involved in the dialogue and the planning, so that's a really positive step. Perhaps other would like to join the party? Should be fun!

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

(Edited to remove typo)

Edited by - DickMorbey on 08/04/2013 18:59:19
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  08:42:30  Show Profile
"As far as 2013 is concerned the die is cast, but the should not deter any Triple-M racers from signing up for the race. Indeed we would encourage them to do so." !!!
I do understand the problems Dick, it just seems that over the last few years these same comments have been trundled out, but very little has changed.
It would take an immense amount of encouragement to get me to pay £295 plus,just to have the privilege of being overtaken, and have to get out of their way, repeatedly by cars with a huge speed advantage, to demonstrate a "polarisation of the grid"
I look forward to the MMM racer and others trying to resolve this problem.
It is not fun looking more in your rear view mirror than where you are going.
That was my last comment on the issue, promise !
The Sunday sprint should be a good day out, and I am looking forward to that.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 09/04/2013 08:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  16:40:24  Show Profile
Sprint entry regs can be found here

http://www.mgcc.co.uk/images/silverstone_sprint_2013_regulations_and_entry_form.pdf

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000