Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bulletin on this site
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  21:20:00  Show Profile
The last Bulletin on this site is December 2012 - No.70 When are the latest editions going to be loaded on?

RodBNZ

mglesum

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2013 :  18:46:51  Show Profile
Hello,
I miss also No. 63 Online.
Thanks,
KlauS.
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  10:02:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rodb

The last Bulletin on this site is December 2012 - No.70 When are the latest editions going to be loaded on?

RodBNZ

With reference to Rod's question quoted above, I would like to point out that the Bulletin is mailed in hard copy form to some 420 subscribers worldwide, including some subscribers resident in Australasia, and that the provision of Bulletins on this website is purely for archival purposes, so as to allow readers to refer to back issues.

The policy of the Register Committee is that each new issue of the Bulletin should appear on the website after it has been superseded by the following issue. As the Bulletin is issued every two months, there has been only one issued since December. This is the February/March issue number 71, which is due to appear on the website after the April/May issue number 72 has been mailed out to subscribers. This latest issue is currently in print and is scheduled to be mailed later this week.

Regarding Klaus's question about Bulletin 63, I do not know why this is missing and will try to put this right.

As editor of the Bulletin, may I take this opportunity to thank all who have contributed in any way to the Bulletin, and to ask that anyone thinking that they may like to contribute an article should do so without hesitation. I have very little material in hand for the June issue and particularly need technical and historical articles and photographs.

Many interesting photos appear regularly on this website and I would welcome submission of these to the Bulletin. To appear satisfactorily in print, they must be of high resolution, preferably of at least 1Mb file size. There are many bulletin subscribers who do not use this forum and would love to see your photos.

Please submit your material to me by email at bobr41@talktalk.net

Best wishes,
Bob Richards
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  14:05:30  Show Profile
Thank you Bob for the policy explanation. I was not aware of those details, I was certain the website postings of the past were sooner than that.

John James's Totally T-Type 2, and Ted Hack's D Group magazines have possibly spoilt us. I now prefer to have club magazines sent or be available by electronic methods.

Announced this week NZ Post have said....NZ Post considers that its mail business (excluding express delivery services) will become a loss-making activity by 2016, unless the proposed changes go ahead. The volume of mail being posted is 24 percent less that it was in 2002, and is continuing to decline.

The proposed changes would allow New Zealand Post to reduce the frequency of mail deliveries for most New Zealanders to three days a week.

The above is planned for introduction in June this year. I imagine that this type of postal delivery solution will repeat around the world as mail volumes decrease.

I have all the PDF Bulletins and the others loaded onto a pen drive so when I am traveling around the country or overseas I have a great source of reading material without a weight penalty of paper to carry. Airlines have reduced the baggage weights allowable now, but you can still carry on a laptop, and a hand full of pen drives.

I can wait, but do wonder in view of the above that the committee could review the policy some time.

RodB NZ

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  07:49:32  Show Profile
Rod is correct about falling mail volumes. These have been declining in the UK for the past few years (although you may not have noticed, due to the amount of junk mail that arrives on the doormat!).

Royal Mail has a universal service obligation (i.e. to deliver standard tariff mail throughout the UK - including the 'highlands and islands' at the same basic 1st and 2nd class rate and to maintain deliveries for six days in the week).

In April 2012 the basic 1st and 2nd class weight steps went up by 30% and 39% respectively and there was hardly a whimper of protest!
Royal Mail would have justified the increase in order to maintain the universal service obligation because, with a largely fixed delivery cost base and falling volumes, pricing has to take the strain.

When I started Totally T-Type 2 I made the conscious decision that it would be an Internet based magazine and I have over 2,600 registered subscribers who receive an e-mail notification whenever a new issue comes out. I also send out around 45 printed copies (for those without Internet access and those who like to receive a 'hard' copy) but these run at a loss, largely due to a high unit cost for such a small print run and rapidly accelerating mail charges. For example, the cost of sending a magazine to Europe was £1.61 in 2011, and then a massive increase to £2.93 in 2012 and now in 2013 £3.50. For outside Europe the comparative costs were £2.32, £3.85 and now £4.50.

So, regrettably the days of print are numbered and I'm glad that I took the decision to send the magazine on a predominantly electronic basis.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org

Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  21:23:17  Show Profile
Bob

Has issue 72 been posted yet?

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  05:41:34  Show Profile
Like many postal service, Canada too, is running a money-losing operation and Her Majesty's Royal Post, for purely urban homes, has been delivered for only 5 days/week for over 30 years. For we lucky souls living in farm country, we will continue to get 5 day delivery, when the city folk go down to 3 or even 2 day delivery probably in the next couple of years.

But look at the bright side. I wouldn't be sending this message if it weren't for the internet.

What about the furure of postal delivery? I won't live to see it, but I can imagine the day when we can exchange parts for our cars via 'teleporting'. Vapourize the part, and send it electronically, to arrive in seconds to be re-constituted and installed in a car for which there is no gasoline.

Gord Clark #392
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  08:51:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rodb

Bob

Has issue 72 been posted yet?

RodB NZ

Sorry for the late reply Rod but Bulletin 72 hard copy was posted early last month. If yours was not received, please contact Paul White via rhiwlas.35@btinternet.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000