Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Enamel Colour
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  09:07:44  Show Profile
Is there a difference in pre war emamel colours compared to post war?

N.D.Willey

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  10:43:24  Show Profile
Moth Eaten, For what its worth, I have been told (on good authority), that some of the old tinters are no longer used because of toxicity and other issues so old colours can no longer be accurately reproduced using the old formulae. Modern mixes may be close but not necessarily "spot-ob".
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  12:43:36  Show Profile
Thanks, I thought this might be the case.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  21:20:51  Show Profile
I have completed much research over the years and more recently with Terry Andrews and Tommmm in the USA.

There are various posts in archives on this forum relating to colours.

A large number of prewar colours were brought forward by MG into the T series and again into the MGB range with colour name changes and are as far as my old colour chips books show, a very close match.

The Glasurit brand of two pack paint has most colours reformulated to use modern tinters, Dupont has some also.

The colours had a British Standard prefix ie GN for green RD for red. YL for yellow and ivory, BU for blue, GR for grey.

I have an old document that I wrote some years ago that I should update and see if the Bulletin or Year Book editors want to publish it.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000