Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Binding of Springs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  19:37:04  Show Profile
Do MMM owners still bind springs? It was popular at one time but what is the modern view. If it is still reccommended what is the best tape to use? The last time I did it I used the old black fabric insulating tape but I haven't seen any of that for quite a while.

Maurice.

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  09:24:52  Show Profile
The old fashioned black impregnated cloth insulating tape that you speak of is readily available from FROST tel 01706658619 at 2 pounds per roll 25m long x 25mm wide.I personally use Ovoline Chain Spray and then you can keep an eye on your unwrapped springs. Rich
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  07:53:27  Show Profile
My old springs were covered with Denso tape, which I'm sure keeps the wather out and the grease in but it is filthy horrible stuff. I have just fitted new front springs and have covered them with 1" wide cotton tape which I then sprayed with a waterproofing solution which I bought in an 'Outdoor' shop. Whether this will be satisfactoty or not I don't know. If not I am going to leave them uncovered and keep them lubricated as Rich does.

A traditional method is to bind them with cotton cord but I think this is more to stiffen the spring rather than weather proof them.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  18:18:32  Show Profile
If you look at K3's and the more sporting tripple M's you will see that they are bound with cord. It look great stiffens the springs ( so I am told) and protects the springs from the weather. I did mine but it is really hard work. Cuts your hands to bits, but the finished artical is worth it.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  19:57:38  Show Profile
What type of cord did you use Rodney?

George
Go to Top of Page

howard r

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  20:37:34  Show Profile
Why would you want to stiffen the springs? They are already stiffer than the chassis. They are on my D type anyway.
Howard
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  21:36:41  Show Profile
George,

The correct cord is, Swan Glacie Cord No 4. I get it direct from the makers, Marlow Ropes Ltd.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Pat B

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  12:16:07  Show Profile
Marlow Ropes website is 'www.marlowropes.com' and Tel no. '01323 - 847234'. It comes in a box which is ample to do one car set.

The only problem is trying to find a suitable dye to colour the rope afterwards as it comes in white only. Colron used to do a Black Dye which was ideal but having looked in all the usual DIY places (to replace a friend's supply !) they don't seem to anymore.

Pat.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  19:37:11  Show Profile
Peter

Does binding with cotton cord significantly stiffen the spring? Would you bind the springs on a road car that was not used for competition?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  19:39:30  Show Profile
PA 0603, APP 186, has had Wefco spring gaiters fitted for many years.
They have certainly done a good job in protecting the springs, kept well-lubricated through the fitted greasers.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  20:10:35  Show Profile
George, i used the cord quoted by Peter and a got it direct from Marlow ropes, the problem is trying to get them to supply 1 box! I can't remember how I managed to perswade them but in the end I got what I needed from them. I used an ebony wood dye by Sadolin which worked well, turned white to black in one coat.
Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000