Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear view mirror pedestal
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6118 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  17:20:17  Show Profile
Interestingly, driving with the hood up over the weekend (yes, I know, the shame of it, but it was pouring cats and dogs!) I found that the larger mirror could be set so that the view through the small rear window of the hood was perfectly adequate and a vehicle appearing in the mirror and coming up to overtake me would appear in the side mirror just before it disappeared from the rear view one. So all in all, a pretty satisfactory outcome.
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2013 :  19:17:49  Show Profile
Simon

I did try to contact you a couple of time through the Forum to see whether you had considered the J4 type pedestal and whether you had had any fitting problems with your pedestal. However,I assume my emails vanished into the ether.

What I am now interested in is your TD/TF mirror.I think it may be a Tim Hodgekiss number 663 - certainly this is his TD/TF one.This is stated as having a flat glass which I prefer. Is that what you have fitted?

If it is easier to reply direct my email address is rawlinsondavid@yahoo.com

David R

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6118 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2013 :  05:54:04  Show Profile
David,

Apologies, but no, I never received any communication from you via the web site. It does seem to be an unreliable way of communicating I fear.

But to answer your questions, in fact I have a J4 stand as well but am planning to use that for my side mirror. I never actually considered it for the scuttle mount and in fact I think it would probably be a very tight fit on my car. As it is I don't have room for the original domed nut that came with the mirror (yes, it's the Tim Hodgekiss one you refer to) which is quite long and have had to use a plain nut pending getting hold of a shorter chrome dome nut.

As for fitting the stand, I did it much the same way as yourself with a rubber strip between stand and body work. In truth, the hardest part of the whole process was getting the original mirror off as the wires to my horn button are a neat fit so a bit of dexterity was required to undo them and re-connect them.

But overall I'm delighted with both the appearance and the effect of the change. It looks the part and works very well.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 22/05/2013 07:04:29
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6118 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  13:26:13  Show Profile
By chance I came across this factory photo of what appears to be the Road Test J2 (but with its 'proper' remote control) and it very clearly shows the mirror mounted on an angled pedestal.

Rich? Ready when you are!

Also, the picture seems to show a small switch in the octagonal instrument panel instead of just an MG badge. Any ideas what it might have been for?
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3371 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  16:22:13  Show Profile
I have been looking into the internal email system and it is definitely working OK for most members. However, some people just seem unable to receive emails from the website (which is where they appear to originate, rather than the individual's email address). The problem is thought to be with the receiver's ISP rejecting the email as spam. If you do not appear to receive emails from other members through the website email system, I suggest you contact your ISP (the folk you pay for your internet) and ask them to check if the website address is blocked.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000