Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 sump corrosion
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dbass

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  21:02:57  Show Profile
after taking off the sump from the block removing several dead mice and some very old engine oil i have discovered that my sump is quite badly corroded, it appears to have stood for many years with oil in it and this has been contaminated with water.can anyone tell me what material(s) the sump is made from and how best to clean away the corrosion and if it is holed how best to repair it . The sump is from a Magna and appears to be alloy or similar.
thanks

Edited by - dbass on 13/04/2006 20:10:25

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  13:39:34  Show Profile
You don't say if you have a steel or aluminium sump. If it is steel hot caustic will clean it and you can remove rust either with Bilt Hammers "Deox" (marvellous stuff !) or with bead blasting. Repairs can be made by normal welding. Caustic is dangerous with rubber gauntlets and face mask compulsary - you may wish to take it to one of the outfits that strips paint off domestic doors - they frequently use caustic. If its aluminium DO NOT USE CAUSTIC - the thing will literally dissolve ! I wouldn't use bed blasting either since the beads can stick in the metal and contaminate oil. I have cleaned my M Type sump with aluminium wheel cleaner which I bought from Halfords but "Cilit Bang" from our local Tesco has brought my gear box case up like new. If the aliminium needs reparing the only way is with TIG welding or perhaps a new one from Andy King at mgsparesandrestorations.com Finally if you have the house to yourself for a day you can put the sump in your domestic diswasher. This is also a good way of cleaning ball bearings - the parts will come out pristine !

Good luck - and the dishwasher tip didn't come from me

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  19:20:45  Show Profile
If you are a member of the VSCC there is a thread headed 'Lumiweld' which debates the relative merits of repairing an ali sump with JB Weld or Lumiweld, as alternatives to TIG welding. The first is an epoxy which is applied cold. The second is rather like brazing with aluminium ie a lower temperature than welding. An interesting thread. Both products are obtainable from Frosts.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  21:20:48  Show Profile
I may be mistaken but I thought the sumps are Elektron (magnesium) castings - maybe it depends on which Triple-M model. Magnesium can be TIG welded using an appropriate filler rod, and you should consider heat treatment afterwards.

I take Talbot's point about bead blasting, but having thought long and hard I did lightly blast my sump using Honite (glass bead) from Guyson. This was followed by ultrasonic cleaning and then vapour cleaning, and all seems well. I also coat the outside of the sump with a magnesium preservative made by Croda, rather like a very thin Waxoyl - but if in fact it is aluminium this is clearly a waste of time!
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2006 :  09:01:43  Show Profile
If its that bad you could consider an epoxy lining as per oil industry specs for tank lining. Regards Rich.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000