Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oil Filter Housing - Oil Drillings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2006 :  08:47:30  Show Profile
I have just made a gasket to fit the oil filter housing onto the cylinder block of my P-type. The oil hole at the bottom of the filter bowl does not have a corresponding hole in the block. I am told that this is OK but I am curious to know why. See http://buildingsite.igentics.com/sites/972ED3A7-C865-4556-9F0C-67505DC8D42D/images/gasket.jpg

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2006 :  18:27:24  Show Profile
Andrew,

This hole is part of the cross drilling linking the outlet at the bottom of the main filter chamber to the internal front to rear drilling which feeds oil to the engine. There was no need to blank this end of the drilling off as when fitted it is against the side of the block. I hope I have made myself clear.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2006 :  19:54:36  Show Profile
Peter,

Yes, I do now, thanks. I've had another look at it and I can see why it's there and why there was no need for MG's to blank it off as you effectively do that when it is bolted to the block.

Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2006 :  09:52:11  Show Profile
Andrew,

On our P type I found that because the face of the filter was not exactly flat to the block that oil was leaking out of this hole past the gasket, in spite of carefully fitting what I thought was a well made gasket using Wellseal. Lapping the filter face made no improvement, so I guess there are small irregularities on our block face. The telltale oil marks on the gasket confirmed this.

Having studied the design and realising that the hole in the filter housing was purely a machining hole, I made a very slightly tapered plug to fit the hole. The housing hole was tapered accordingly. Plug tapped in, lapped flush with the housing face - belt and braces I know, but no further leakage.

John R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000