Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cam shaft drive
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2006 :  13:57:05  Show Profile
Took the PB put for St Georges day run and it developed a harsh nocking/thumping noise in the vertical drive area. Car ran OK but more noisey than normal. Sounded as if the bevel gears were loose. Have removed the top bevel drive from the head, Hyat bearings seem OK, only about a thou or two play, but the dynamo shaft has about one sixteen of an inch end float. Could this be the cause allowing the bevel gear to move slightly(!!) in and out of alignment, by flexing the sheet metal coupling, and creating the thump?? With the dynamo off the crankshaft rotates as normal with no noise. I intend to change the dynamo bearing while its out, but any help,advise, thoughts most welcome before I dive in.Are there any shims in the dynamo to take this play out or is this amount normal. Many thanks.

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  08:44:26  Show Profile
Problem now sorted and all OK.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  09:12:30  Show Profile
John,

What was the problem?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  19:56:45  Show Profile
Problem was a simple one. The bolt holding the bottom bevel gear had worked loose, allowing the bevel gear to drop down and ride onto the mating gear. The dynamo shaft was not a good fit on the bearings so allowed the shaft to move. I have now made up a lock washer to give added security to the bolt , also new key to take up the wear due to the gear fretting on the shaft.Plus new bearings. Have also adjusted the shims, the top bevels too tight inmesh and the bottom ones had too much play.So hoepfully all is now sorted.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000