Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 identifying an engine - help wanted
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sewardwi

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  08:57:14  Show Profile
I've been trying to identify an engine that has come into my possession. It's been suggested that it might possibly be from an MG TA or maybe a VA. I don't need this engine, as I have an A.

The block and head came along with a crankshaft, a couple of flywheels, a distributor and an oil pump. I have not yet tried to asemble them, but they look as if they belong together.

The bore is about 65mm - I don't have the crank at the moment to measure the stroke, but the length of the bore is about 173mm. There are three main bearings, fitted with shells, and the diameter looks about 2 inches. There is the MG octagon on the side with the tappet chest, with the casting number 22280. Elsewhere, there's the casting number 24FO. There's no plate showing any engine number.

The head shows the casting number 10G on the side, and 220 02 on top. The exhaust and inlet ports project about 3cm from the side of the head, and are tilted upwards.

My understanding is that of the postwar MG's, only the XPAG had the MG octagon cast into the block. I gather that this doesn't seem to be an XPAG since on the engine I have, there's a couple of inches of engine block between the top of the tappet chest and the top of the block whilst the MG Octagan is at the back of the engine, near the distributor and dipstick hole.

Serial numbers evident on components - the crankshaft has the number 22019, along with MOWOG and ESC19. The centre main bearing cap has the number 22024. The distributor has the numbers 1253V166 and 40395A. The oil pump bears the number 3707.

Whilst I'm at it, in the same collection of bits and pieces came an unknown steering box, described as being from an early MG. It shows the name 'Cam Gears', with serial numbers 18991 on one side, and 18993 on the other. There's also the number 1466 stamped below the 18991.

If anyone has any views, I'd naturally be delighted to hear them.

thanks and kind regards

Bill

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2006 :  20:32:27  Show Profile
I think it is a MG TA engine. Can you send my some photos? Or I can send you some. I am ovner of a MG TA 1938 with MPJG engine bore 61 mm stoke 110 mm since 1973. Jorgen Poulsen

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000