Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Following on from M type sidescreens..
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  07:09:18  Show Profile
Do any M type owners (current or previous) have a view on the worth of having a hood? I have to make decision about this soon but have the impression that an M with a hood up can be a real trial, with poor visibility and real difficulties getting in and out of the car. Seems I might be better off with a pair of goggles and a good Pig's Bladder hat if it rains..

Thoughts anyone?

g waiting

United Kingdom
727 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  08:32:44  Show Profile
Hi Hugh,
What on earth is a pig's bladder hat?
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
990 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  09:30:50  Show Profile
Garry - I'm not sure I really want to know.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  21:18:52  Show Profile
I would not bother with hood and sidescreens, cockpit far too small, and stowing items in boot takes up space. If it rains keep your head lower and keep going as fast as is safe to. I would recommend a tonneaeu cover for security. good luck. Nick.
M 2345 JY8840.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  22:46:37  Show Profile
Had my M for 46 years - never had a hood for the thing.
Take your waterproofs in the commodious boot - or stay at home if the forecast is that bad.
A dear old friend of mine - Dr Jack Armstrong, a former president of MGCC [sadly long deceased - the Dr that is , not the MGCC!. was a GP in the 1930's.
He had an M as his only car at the time. He said that when the hood was up the only way he could see anything was to drive with his head outside the car. This was somewhat counter productive as he was constantly being showered with muck from vehicles going the other way.
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  07:50:13  Show Profile
I have a hood and have used it a few times over the 50 years of owning the car, the last time in driving rain on the return from MG Silverstone a few years’ ago. I actually arrived home drier than when I started, helped by the hot air from the engine. The visibility is certainly reduced but not exceptionally so, as I have mirrors on both sides of the windscreen. Also I look through the windscreen when driving. If you are tall and drive looking over the screen then a hood will be of no use. The only way to get in with the hood up is head first. I don’t seem to need sidescreens as the V windscreen deflects the rain sideways. John
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  09:03:37  Show Profile
I have to agree with everything John has said. With a hood,it's possible to drive hundreds of miles in the pouring rain at fifty miles an hour. That speed without a hood is literally painful even for a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  12:53:33  Show Profile

This passenger is probably very pleased to have a hood to sit under but what he would do with his elbow if he had a side screen?

Of course if you are really tough you can be like this good looking chap and not put the hood up at all even when it is pouring. His girlfriend looks really impressed.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 11/07/2013 12:59:58
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  01:33:52  Show Profile
My very original little M-type only has sockets for the side screens on the passengers side. Thankfully it doesn't rain much here in South Australia!
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  02:45:34  Show Profile
Did they even have a drivers side side-screen? Having to give hand signals with one in place would have been rather amusing no?

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  09:59:22  Show Profile
I owned an M Type from 1957 to 1960 (LJ 3785, where are you please?) and I must say that with the hood up, it was lovely and snug inside, even without side-screens. I used to get a crick in my neck through bending my head down to see under the side of the hood, but the forward visibility was quite good - assisted by a neat little Bosch windscreen wiper motor purchased from Archie Hazell's car breakers in Brighton for 12 1/2 pence (2/6d in real money), which work much more successfully than Mr Lucas's masterpieces. I even made a pair of side-screens out of persex, with a little sliding section on the driver's side, but the technology involved in affixing the perspex to the metal mounting pegs eventually defeated me. I then found that for most of the time, it was best to leave the hood in the boot and to wear sunglasses when it rained. Happy days.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 12/07/2013 10:00:28
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  12:05:30  Show Profile
I imagine the little triangular flap was used for hand signals, though I think the Highway Code made no reference to signals from the passenger.

Though not mentioned in the Code, as I recall, when the driver was travelling with a passenger a left turn signal from the passenger was generally accepted. The Code said nothing about signals from the passenger when travelling without a driver.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 12/07/2013 12:07:52
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  01:27:36  Show Profile
Matthew, I don't think that the car had a drivers side screen from new. I have not used my hood much but it is there if I need it!
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  08:45:26  Show Profile
Thanks to all who have contributed, here and in one or two e-mails I have received as well. I think the final comment from Barry has rather helped me make my mind up. It's probably worth having, accepting that it will see very little use, but nice to know it's there if you really need it.

But of course, whilst always carrying a Pig's Bladder Hat...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  11:30:18  Show Profile
Just make sure you rinse it out properly each time you use it. That is the hat, not the hood.

Colin B.

PS Sorry that my previous posting has come out so strangely. It seems to spread across ten more columns than the screen can cope with.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  22:01:05  Show Profile
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/pig+bladder+hats

Sam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly