Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M TYPE
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  06:55:58  Show Profile
Being a complete novice to this world and just geting my first 1930 M Type ,there may be loads of questions from me.first of all would the M type have a fan fitted as mine seems to have a pully for one of the bottom of the engine but no fan ? second does anybody live nere me in dorset i live in bournemouth who has a M Type which would come over and go through the car with me i really need help SOS? my phone number is 01202 257158

spencer

Edited by - Spencer on 05/05/2006 06:57:19

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  07:15:58  Show Profile
Spencer,

What's your engine number ? Early Morris Minors had basically the same engine as the M Type and they had a fan fitted. Many M Types have had Minor engines, or engine parts, fitted over the years. A standard Minor engine has a steel sump and steel cam cover - on your M Type they should be aluminium. M Type engine numbers should start with MG.

If you want to examine other M Types - some perfectly original and others modified - a trip to the MG Weekend at the Silverstone race track in July is a must. If you want a digital of any specific part of a M Type let me know - I have been collecting photos for a number of years to assist with the rebuild of my car.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  10:58:14  Show Profile
The MGCC meeting at Silverstone this year is 23/24/25 June not in July.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  16:38:05  Show Profile
hi jan the engine number of my M is MG808A i am told it is the original engine !and the reg is KF 498 do you now of the Car????

spencer
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  19:32:45  Show Profile
Spencer,

It may be worthwhile contacting Bob Clare - you can find his details on the home page / contacts. The chassis number that is listed for your registration number is 2M1039 but the engine number is 806A not MG 808A which does suggest a Morris unit. There are a number of ways to distinguish a Morris engine from a MG but I am no expert. I am certain others who are more knowlegable than myself will soon be providing you with advice on these pages.

p.s. thanks Peter for the clarification of the dates for Silverstone. It would have been a very expensive mistake if I had travelled down from Scotland in July rather than June.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  20:11:01  Show Profile
This could be because the car has just been finshed and the chap which i bourght it off. had a donar M type to restore this one so he would have used both to make one good one .the original log book has this engine number on it which match,s the number on the engine so purhaps it has a diffirent chassic .

spencer
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2006 :  07:41:06  Show Profile
Hi jan looked into it more .the chassis number is correct ,it is a mg engine just not the orginal one shame !

spencer
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  22:10:33  Show Profile
Spencer,

I e-mailed you a welcome to the Triple-m Register on 27/4. I don't know where Jan got the info but 2M 1039 was fitted with engine number MG 0808A by the factory. MG 0806 was fitted to 2M 1042. So you have the original engine if indeed the number stamped on the raised boss on the left of the block, about half way along, does is this. You can't rely on what the guarantee plate or documents say.

All genuine MG M Type engines are stamped with "MG" before the number.

Bob Clare
Registrar, Triple-M Register
MG Car Club

Please note:- All personal information given to the Register is protected by the UK Data Protection Act.

39 Hillside Avenue, Worthing, West Sussex BN14 9QS, England
Tel: 044 (0)1903 203698 Fax: 044 (0)1903 234609 e-mail: 100570.2213@compuserve.com

Reg. Office: Kimber House, 12 Cemetery Road, Abingdon. Reg. No. 962227
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:59:26  Show Profile
hi Bob thanks for that its great news ,and another great bit of news is that i got her going for the first time since i got her last week.when i got her i also got 5 big boxes of M type spares and ever another head so well happy now .will be bring her up to silverstone and any other triple M events .

spencer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000