Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 value of my 1932 MG J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ls1ac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  03:00:37  Show Profile
I am considering selling my 1932 MG J2. I got this car in 1971 and my brother in-law (a cabinet maker) started redoing the wood work. we drove the car in upstate NY last summer but it still need work.

ls1ac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  03:03:02  Show Profile
I am looking for a value on this car. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  09:05:20  Show Profile
Hello Scott and welcome to the Forum.

Your question, interesting though it be, is rather like one of those 'How long is a piece of string?' questions!

The sort of information that would be really helpful in assisting you includes something about the identity of the car (chassis number etc), and a detailed indication of the condition that it is currently in. It would also be exceedingly helpful to know what condition the engine is in. For example does it have its original crankshaft, what work has been carried out on the engine and the mechanical components and by whom, etc etc.

In fact the more information you can provide about vehicle the more likely are people going to be able to assist you!

A final thought – is the car registered with us here at the Triple-M Register?

I'm sorry to be answering your question with a whole string of further questions.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  11:13:58  Show Profile
Could this be J 4252 currently shown in the Register as being owned by Bill Pestell in the U.S. of A. ? MMM Number 942.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

ls1ac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  17:01:31  Show Profile
Yes this is the car that I gave to Bill to work on.
He retitled it in NY so he could drive it there.
He died last fall suddenly and I have lost heart in the project.
I have about 20 pictures of the car that I have passed on to Nick Feakes but was looking for an idea of what the car might be worth so I could put a starting price.
I plan to sell the car and give the money to his widow.
I see wrecks from 18,000 to gems at 65,000, figure it is somewhere between (it could be a long or short string).
I have no interest in ebay.
The frame, engine, and number plate all match.
For those inclined I have a enclosed trailer with breaks that the car fits perfectly.
Go to Top of Page

ls1ac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  17:17:28  Show Profile
I was told that a British gentleman brought the car to the us about 1969. He was then transferred to Australia and left the car with his brother-in-law to sell. I got the car in Columbus Ohio from the brother-in-law. I was not born when the car was new so I have no idea if it is the original crank, silly aside, I have never been inside the engine so I do not know. I do know that at one point there must have been a leak in the water jacket as there is a braze mark on the side of the jacket. We found that when we repainted the block. The engine runs, no blue smoke.
Go to Top of Page

ls1ac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  17:32:10  Show Profile
If someone would like to see the car it is in Wisconsin near Kenosha. I was thinking of taking it to the all British car show in Chicago in august. I usually take an AC but this might give me a lead on value for the 32. If someone has an other suggestion on where to show the car I would like to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  19:15:45  Show Profile
Best to put the car on eBay and the market will determine the true price but be prepared to be disapointed.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

ls1ac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  21:28:22  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion but as I said no interest in ebay as it seem like a rush to get it done. I have had the car for 42 years and not wanting to rush into getting rid of the car in a hurry just to have it gone. Some one here may need time to think about it and ask questions about it.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  23:36:41  Show Profile
I think this is a great j2 looks very original in very good unrestored condition. Its a swept winged one which you dont see very much of. I think in england this car could make £20000 and it would be nice to see it kept in this condition all the mgs you see on the road are restored theres no unrestored cars running around like this. If you sold it in usa i think you would only get half that they dont seem to make lots of money over there. If you cant get a good price for it there then id ship it back to england.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  23:42:08  Show Profile
Id like a mg to knock about in where you can use it any wheather at any time of the year without worrying about stone chips and getting it wet. All the projects what come up for sale in our country are all in too bad condition and have to be restored new body etc. So you have quite a rare car in my eyes
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  05:25:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by greg

Id like a mg to knock about in where you can use it any wheather at any time of the year without worrying about stone chips and getting it wet.

Why on earth would you worry about stone chips and getting it wet? The cars are there to be used, not mollycoddled.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  01:59:32  Show Profile
Im not bothered about getting it wet but i wouldnt go out in the winter when the roads are wet and theres salt on the road. Hopefully my j2 when finished will be as good as yours simon so i just want to look after it and keep it nice.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  02:01:53  Show Profile
This j2 looks as if its been restored in the photos below the first one so its probably worth £30,000. It looks very nice
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  07:54:00  Show Profile
I don't know where some of these aspirations on value come from if we are looking at the condition of the car in photo 1.

Photo 2 shows the car in a different condition but there is still work to do to correct it and it is not that difficult to buy a very good J2 for £30K. The cycle wing J2 is generally more sought after however.

It is also worth noting generally that high figures being asked for cars in the glossy adverts is not necessarily representative of the actual figure the car gets sold for, and the actual sale price seldom gets publicised unless you study the auction results. Observe the prices invariably being sought on ebay for similar J types and it will be noted that these never generally reach their unrealistic reserves. If you place your car on Ebay with no reserve then it will be interesting to see what offers are made.

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 06/08/2013 08:05:11
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  01:41:57  Show Profile
Someone once told me that prewar four cylinder cars in Oz are worth about the same as a TC in similar condition. I think that they may be worth a little more. "Plainer" models probably a little less (than a TC).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000