Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tax disc holders
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  22:23:38  Show Profile
Hi Simon - my J2 has the tax disc holder mounted in about the same place as Graham's. I'll have a look tomorrow at how its fixed, maybe I can load another view of the car in the photos section. Incidentally, its probably been there since new, currently sports the 1939 disc of the original owner, his last year of ownership and the last year the car was on the road until Sparrohawk bought it it 1981!

KTS
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  02:33:45  Show Profile
Hi again - I added a few more pics of J3459, including near side with tax disc on windshield post, and close up of same. Also Odometer, showing 676 miles, add the9999 max, only 10675 miles on this car, documented as such as well.

KTS
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  04:02:10  Show Profile
Many thanks, guys.

Bob, indeed I remember my Dad having one of those holders that was glued to the windscreen of his A40 Somerset. But interestingly in none of the photos of the J2 is there any sign of a tax disc on the windscreen and in only one of them is there some sort of holder affixed to the screen support, rather like Koke's.

So Koke, would it be possible to have a photo showing how it's actually mounted to the screen support, i.e. from the rear of the holder? And interesting that it's got cycle wings when by chassis number it should have swept wings.

P.S. Koke, I've sent you an email via the Forum system (which may or may not reach you!)

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/08/2013 04:22:21
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  10:14:52  Show Profile
Hello Simon

I have what I recall is a "Cowie" tax disc holder which is a quality chrome on brass holder. I might have bought it from Willie McKenzie. It is attached by the upper long bolt holding the nearside windscreen bracket. Currently this bolt is shared by a cheaper stainless steel disc holder with a reproduction 1933 disc,but a Cowie will replace this in due course.

I once lost a tax disc from a TA windscreen,so I would not use a stick-on type holder. You have to use the upper bolt with my system as using the lower one means the holder fouls the bonnet when opening it.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  10:33:54  Show Profile
keep it in the door pocket - you'll never get pulled over anyway !!!Rich
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  12:08:56  Show Profile
Bob,
Is this the type of stick on one you had in mind? http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/976-screen-mount-licence-holder

David,
Presumably the disc holder is on the outside of the windscreen support bracket?

Rich,
It might come to that! But knowing me I'd lose it, or in fact both of them.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/08/2013 12:09:31
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  03:16:38  Show Profile
Simon, I'll get a pic of the backside (Of the disc holder) on tomorrow (Friday). By the way, there is a chap in England who reproduces tax discs. He can even put the number on it match your log book entry, and location/ date stamps them to match as well. If interested you can google repro tax discs. I will look through my stuff and find his info tommorow too.

Koke
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  04:55:25  Show Profile
Thanks, Koke. Re repro tax discs, I'm afraid they do nothing for me. Can't see the point in them really, especially when we have to have a real one on display.
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  17:53:38  Show Profile
Here is base of tax disc as attached to my windscreen pillar. Top hex bolt has been ground down very thin. The bolt goes through, comes out center hole in strengthening piece just above inner finish panel.

KTS
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  22:40:47  Show Profile
The interest in the US for repro tax discs is that they are a part of the history of the car. Perhaps in the UK where there is a continual need to update the disc with new ones periodically, having a repro of a 80 year old one is not a novelty. But here in the US, there is genuine curiosity and interest.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  22:58:56  Show Profile
Thanks Lew, couldn't have said it better! Would you believe when I took off the cover on my tax disc holder, under the June 1939 one was the disc from September 1939, and under that was the last disc issued for this car, dated in 1984! I was thrilled to find those!

KTS
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  00:25:27  Show Profile
Many thanks, Koke. There's no chance of that one falling off, is there!!!

Yes, I can understand the attraction of finding an original tax disc - I'd love to have one from when my car was new. It's the repros I don't see the point of, at least in the UK anyway.

Dd you get my email, Koke, via the Forum?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000