Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Sad photo of an M Type at Downham Market
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2013 :  16:07:41  Show Profile
I just came across a photo of four cars lined up outside a Nissen hut at at RAF Downham Market - probably taken in the summer of 1944. The caption tells us that the cars belonged to aircrew posted as missing in action. One is an M Type and the registration number is marginally legible. I am trying to obtain a higher resolution copy, but it looks like MV 6606.

Is there any Register record of such an M Type?

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2013 :  16:09:33  Show Profile
That photo was discussed extensively last year. See the thread at http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6238&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Downham+Market

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2013 :  18:06:44  Show Profile
Oops - sorry for not having done my research before posting. The photo I found was published last year in 'The RAF Pathfinders' by Martyn Chorlton, and with exactly the same caption (was he also the author of Memorial Flight?). (I bought it in the UK last month while visiting the shop at the Anderton Lift, of all places!) I am trying to contact Martyn to see if a higher resolution image is obtainable.

My caption would have been 'They also serve who only stand and wait..."
Go to Top of Page

tpope

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  03:57:23  Show Profile
Ian, don't apologize! I had not been aware of the previous thread and just took the time to read through it. This gave an opportunity for those that missed it previously. Very interesting. And very sad regarding the lives lost. Now, the old thread seems to debate what the Reg is on the MG, but nothing is conclusive. By chance, did anyone conclude definitive Reg markings and did anyone manage to determine if the car still exists? I do hope someone has it tucked away somewhere. Tom

TPope ('49TC, '31MGM, '56MGA, '62eType, '66eType, '99Z3)
Go to Top of Page

tpope

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  06:55:54  Show Profile
OK, my apologies for rehashing this multi-year old topic. But, I could NOT resist pulling this photo into Photoshop an dexamining the Reg on the MG. I zoomed, and then repeatedly darkened the image and then increased the dark to light contrast - in an effort to increase the difference between the light Reg numbers and the dark background.
The result is as follows:

I believe we are looking at VG 8606. VG would be Norwich (exactly where it should be, given the airbase location). If I am wrong, it could be NG, which would be Norfolk/Norwich... same difference.

Has anyone found this car or its heritage? Sorry to re-hash an old topic.

Tom

TPope ('49TC, '31MGM, '56MGA, '62eType, '66eType, '99Z3)
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2013 :  22:05:32  Show Profile
Well I contacted the author and got a high res copy of the original. The number is MW 6066 which is a late 1929 Wiltshire issue. Is there a record of this car in the register files?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000