Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 starter motor types
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

michaelsproule

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2013 :  10:52:26  Show Profile
The starter motor on my PA is a M35A-O Type EP8-0 stamped on the body. There are other numbers stamped on the cast flange.
I have another Lucas starter motor which is a M35A-O Type A?-1. Could anyone please tell me where I should look to find out which cars were fitted with this type of starter motor or indeed telling me the actual cars. Many thanks - Michael

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2013 :  12:55:58  Show Profile
Michael
The M35A/0 is the correct starter motor for the P-type. I cannot find any references to your other numbers. They may be manufacturing numbers or maybe a date code? I would assume the two motors are the same. If the armatures, brushes, field coils, pinions and sleeves are the same then I think it is safe to assume they are the same.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2013 :  13:07:35  Show Profile
I think the letters after the word type indicate the lucas code for the original car fitment from memory mg is code da wolseley is aa.cheers geoff
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2013 :  20:33:12  Show Profile
Re: Lucas Vehicle Codes, EP not a valid code, suggest it reads BP, code for Singer.
M35/0 BP8/0 and 8/0/1 are starter codes for various 9hp models 1933-36.
using starter motors fitted 250,072 armature & 250,036 field coils, these parts used also in starters fitted to MG J & P in period, also other parts in common.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2013 :  20:43:04  Show Profile
A glance through an old Lucas catalog confirms what Geoff said. The letter(s) following the starter type do indicate the original car fitment. For those cars which used the M35-A0 starter, the car fitment codes are:

Armstrong Siddeley AS
Austin BN
BSA AC
Daimler BS
Jowett AJ
Lanchester M
MG DA
Morris A
Riley CH
Singer BP
Standard V
Triumph X