Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oil leaking out of M type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2006 :  15:10:53  Show Profile
Can anybody give me some advice on oil coming out of a small hole under the back of engine, gearbox when the engine is runing, is this normal it seems a lot driping out.also i have the engine runing just fine untill it gets to normal runing temp and then it starts to loose power and starts to back fire. also i have a small amount off oil driping out around the distributor.any help most appreciated.
spencer

spencer

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2006 :  15:44:19  Show Profile
I don't know about the oil leaks but your loss of power as it warms up may be a faulty condenser. I had one once that would allow full revs when cold but as it warmed up the maximum revs reduced untill it would not rev over 3000.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2006 :  17:21:32  Show Profile
Spencer,

I think many OHC MG owners have converted their engines to lip seals. Unlike T series engines it's a relatively easy job but it does require the engine to be part dismantled. Maybe you are still running with the original sealing system ?

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2006 :  17:01:47  Show Profile
thanks Maurice and jan T i have cured the backfiring and lack of power ,all that is left is the oil leak which i only have one now which is on the bottom of the clutch housing there is a small hole which oil drips from when the engine is runing does anybody know what this is or can i put a small bolt in it ????

spencer

spencer
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2006 :  17:39:33  Show Profile
Spencer

Is the oil engine oil or gearbox oil? That would tell you where the leak is coming from. I suspect the hole is there for a reason - i.e.to allow leaked oil a way out! I would be very wary of blocking it up - you might end up with an oil bath clutch!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2006 :  17:46:14  Show Profile
It is engine oil ,i have just been out again and tryed a small bolt to see if it is freaded inside and it is,??could it be an over flow to drain any oil away from the clutch in the manual it says there are 3 drain holes underneith one for the engine oil in the sump one for draining any oil from the clutch and one for the gears.i am thinking this could be the clutch one anybody know ????

spencer
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2006 :  07:47:59  Show Profile
if there is quite alot of oil I would say it is almost certainly the banjo bolt in the high pressure oil line that feed the rear main and crank behind the flywheel that will have come loose. To have oil in ant great quantity coming out of the rear scroll you woul that to have alot of play/wear in the rear white metal main bearing and you would hear the knocking.
To sort it is gearbox out and flywheel off - sorry!

Richard

I had exactly this problem with our M type at Loton Park hill climb so we found a sutable twig and hammered it in to the drain hole !!
As my car is not original and is a race car first and foremost, we cutt part of the floor away so the gearbox can be removed with out having to take the engine out in about 1/4 hour.

pps. if you havn't taken the flywheel off before YOU do need the correct puller or you will damage the crankshaft (been there done it ) I used to hire one off sports and vintage but ended up buying one as I seem to have the engines in bits fairly often.

Edited by - rbm on 22/05/2006 07:54:41
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2006 :  23:22:44  Show Profile
Spencer

One point worth checking. Early M and J types had a clutch inspection cover which had a flat base to it. These were later replaced by the factory with a new cover which had a vent slot cast into the base as it was discovered that the movement of the flywheel created suction and tended to extract oil out past the crankshaft flange. Hopefully you have a proper lip seal in which is in good order and as suggested, it may well be the oil gallery plug.

Worth checking the inspection cover though. ENV machined the vent into the case of the gearbox. A bit more useless knowledge!

Rich H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000