Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 'The Automobile'.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2013 :  10:40:15  Show Profile
Enthusiasts of a choleric disposition should avoid the current issue of that increasingly irrelevant magazine 'The Automobile', where the editor has printed a page written by someone called Matthew Bell rubbishing the MG in all its forms as a car you buy if you can't afford anything better.

Bob.

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2013 :  11:13:55  Show Profile
I like the automobile i have it every month delivered. It was a joke what they said about mgs they shoudnt of published it. Im going to cancel mine and see what they say
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2013 :  17:40:10  Show Profile
Just read the article - its laughable! He makes irrelevant comparisons (MGB vs Triumph Spitfire, MGA vs Daimler Dart or Sunbeam Alpine, J type vs Riley Gamecock) all totally different vehicles. It is just the sort of unconsidered diatribe we used to (and still) expect from some members of the VSCC. And he says he has never driven a real MG anyway...

Tosh.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  08:51:23  Show Profile
We are preaching to the converted here. Write to the Automobile,I have, and make Graham A's points and like Greg threaten to cancel your subscription.
Graham H
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  11:05:29  Show Profile
Do you really care what others think about your car? I know that my MG is not a Bentley, a Bugatti or an Alfa 8C.In most events I participate I am not only the youngest participant but also the participant with the smallest and the least expensive car. So what? I am there to have a good time and have a good time.

By the way: if I had the money I would buy a Bentley, a Bugatti of an Alfa 8C.

Kind Regards,
Maurice

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html

Edited by - MGB on 17/11/2013 11:05:48
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  16:35:17  Show Profile
I think you have missed the point Maurice . The article rubbished MGs across the board making silly comparisons and no reference to the successes over the years. It definitely showed the authors ignorance of the marque. Well worth a lot of 'letters to the Editor '
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  20:02:37  Show Profile
And frankly, would you prefer an MGB or a 2 seat Triumph Herald? An MGA or a hairdresser's car or a glassfibre lookalike with a V8? I know which I prefer & if they don't like it, so be it!

Years ago I held a friend in a Dart on a very twisty road in my MGA; much more fun than the straight line blast it would no doubt have won. his silencers were showering road spark on each bend while the 'A was quite unperturbed.

Dave

(I might like a Gamecock but would prefer an Imp or MPH).

Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  20:11:17  Show Profile
What about the people who advertise selling mgs in there like barry walker. They pay hundreds of pounds to advertise then they print that. The whole point in advertising in there is to attract non mg people there not going to buy a mg when they read that

Edited by - greg on 17/11/2013 20:12:19
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  10:06:43  Show Profile
I have been around a few years, and can only comment that nothing changes!

I personally think Ferraris, Bugattis and the like are irrelevant: Syd Enever once said at a meeting that any fool can make a car which costs twenty thousand pounds, the clever trick is to make one which costs a thousand, and make a profit from it! (At the time an MGB cost £950)

My NA was once accorded by an official of the BOC the title of "honorary Bugatti" at one of their (BOC) meetings at Prescott, but I was able to retort that it was an MG and proud of the fact and of its heritage.

What individual people like and dislike is purely a matter of opinion, not fact, and can be disregarded as ignorance by those who feel differently.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  10:45:25  Show Profile
I agree Mike, and my own view is that some of us are getting a bit over-reactive. We all have our own reasons for having chosen M.G.s and I am very proud to say that it was because I wanted one. At the time I bought my first MMM car, there were many other vintage and post vintage cars for sale at really silly low prices, but none of them were what I wanted.

Matthew Bell is a young (ish) regular contributor to "Automobile" and he is contracted to produce an article of so many thousand words every month. Most of what he writes is very light-weight general stuff, of no particular merit, and he has admitted that he has no first hand knowledge of our cars whatsoever. Why any of us should take his comments seriously defeats me but I do not think it worthwhile complaining either to him or to the publisher of "Automobile". This might result in the magazine carrying even less items on M.G.s than it does now. Is that really what we want to achieve ?

I have read far worse stuff about MGs written by the vertically challenged Richard Hammond, but I recognised this as a vain attempt on his part to match the wisdom and creative artistry of his master, Clarkson J (heavy sarcasm at this point).

They are entitled to write whatever they wish, but equally none of us has to read the rubbish. It is a bit like getting upset about what "friends" might say about me on Facebook. If you don't like the sh*t they write, don't read it.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Dowson

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  10:58:28  Show Profile
It is a long time since I subscribed to The Automobile because, as has already been said, it became irrelevant to me. I still buy an occasional "holiday" copy and this always seems to reconfirm my decision.

I bought my MG (PA) because I found my A7 too slow for modern traffic and needed an extra 10 - 20mph. I now read and research MG history because I own one. If I'd bought another make which met my requirements, I would have been happy with that and supported that marque too. Older cars (and I would include MGB and Triumph Spitfire in that) have a unique appeal because they were made when cars were different to each other. Some differences are quirky or downright dangerous (thinking of Triumph swing axles and finding my son's Spit upside down in a ditch, but he still has it and now drive's it accordingly), but isn't this part of the appeal.

We need to keep an interest in all things and the world would be a sadder place if everyone wanted one make / model.

Peter Dowson
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  18:25:55  Show Profile
Come on , everyone , it wasn't all rubbish ! 2nd paragraph : " The six cylinder Magna is surely the most attractive and practical of the 1930s sports cars " . True praise indeed . I am sure the comparison of an MGB with a Spitfire was said tongue-in-cheek - or was he thinking of a TR4 or TR4A ? But yes , the Automobile is not the magazine it used to be , and I will have to think long and hard about renewal .
Fred Boothby
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  18:47:52  Show Profile
Yup just an opinion. I cancelled my subscription last yr, just thought it was a bit dull.

In reality we are incredibly welcome with the vscc, I ve made some great friends from Bugatti owners to our own community, as a relative new comer I ve seen no anti mg behaviour. Just the odd irritation when we beat them!

Just a journalist looking to get some reaction.

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  20:01:18  Show Profile
Like most respondents I only buy the occasional copy of The Automobile - I used to subscribe and have copies of the first three volumes.

The VSCC are trying to promote the magazine to their membership, I received a complimentary last month.

I agree with the comment, as highlighted by Fred, about the 6 cylinder Magna

George
L2 Magna
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2013 :  14:09:12  Show Profile
I go to natters for MGs and Morgan 3Wheelers, of which I own one of each (MMM= J2). A few people attending the one-make natters vigorously assert that their particular make of car is the best thing since sliced bread, and will reject any adverse comments about them....

Whatever complaints are made about the VSCC, most people who attend that local natter seem to keep an open mind, and see the merit in most makes and models, and that I do find refreshing!

Brian
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2013 :  14:24:05  Show Profile
I didn't mean to imply that all VSCC members are sniffy about MGs, I am one myself! But the attitude lingers in some quarters - probably, as Dolts says, when our cars beat them!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000