Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 K3001 & K3003
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Curtain

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2013 :  23:14:18  Show Profile
What is the recent history of these 2 cars?
I was at the RM auction of K3001 and was told by various MG people that the only orginal part was the warranty plate?
K3 Dossier book..states 1988 Peter Gregory claims to have "remains".
While a Mr Cobb has the engine and "some " of the chassis bits.
So how much of the car is original?

K3003 ,having scene this car at a show,looked to me like car made out of current parts bins available from current suppliers.
How much of this car is original?

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2013 :  12:46:29  Show Profile
Hello Paul
I am currently writing a book on K3003 and the Mille Miglia cars. K3003 was restored many years ago by Phillip Bayne-Powell and has been in Australia since the 1980s. The car was refurbished for the 80th anniversary of the Mille Miglia and Ulster Tourist Trophy wins. While it's history has been greatly debated in the past, it is now recognised as the genuine car. You will be able to read the full story when by book is released next year.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2013 :  20:19:14  Show Profile
Before Philip bought K3003 it was being restored by the late Dr Stuart Milton, who lived in Oxford in the 1960s. I think he acquired it from Michael Ellman-Brown. During term time, I used to help Stuart both with this project and also the Le Mans M-type. I remember him having the dumb iron analysed in some detail using various metallurgical techniques because the chassis number was not immediately obvious, and at the time I remember only being able to discern K3--3. Memories from 50 years ago!

This is what Colin Butchers posted in May 2011: 04/05/2011

David, You have come upon what could possibly be the proverbial "can of worms" frequently associated with the history of the K3s ! The original JB 1475 (chassis number K3003) as driven by "Bill" Wisdom, George Eyston etc. was last heard of (so far as I am aware), in Germany in 1953 when it was badly damaged in an accident and has not put in an appearance since. There is a second K3 chassis which was unearthed by Michael Ellman-Brown in the 1960s and subsequently rebuilt by Philip Bayne-Powell which is thought to have emerged in pre-war years but the chassis number cannot be clearly discerned. Much forensic examination was carried out and the best that could be traced was "K3**3" and therefore this chassis is referred to either as "K33" or "The other K3003". Phil B-P was able to have the Registration Number JB 1475 allocated (or re-allocated !) to the car, and this is the car which was sold to the Peter Briggs Museum in Perth, Australia. I think that it has since been sold but is still somewhere in Australia.

Whether the two cars are in fact one and the same is beyond my scope of knowledge !

Colin Butchers.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2013 :  20:36:09  Show Profile
As far as I know Peter Briggs still owns the car, he entered it in the Mille Miglia this year.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Paul Curtain

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2013 :  23:09:19  Show Profile
So how much of K3001 is of the original car,or do we not know?
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  00:30:46  Show Profile
Mike Allison's interview with Jacko which were recently published in Safety Fast explain how the second K3003 was sent to Germany and the Eyston/Nuvolari K3003 remained at the factory. The German K3003 no longer exists, save for a small number of parts. Who has the engine which was stamped K33?

Graeme C
Go to Top of Page

IanG

Australia
72 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  03:34:30  Show Profile
This book?

http://au.blurb.com/b/4606571-top-of-the-class-mg-k3003
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  04:44:18  Show Profile
No, that is just a preview of the main book which will be a major production.

Graeme C
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
843 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  10:27:04  Show Profile
Graeme:
I sent you an email via the forum regarding my interest in your book. If you did not get, please email at danf19@comcast.net.
thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2013 :  11:16:37  Show Profile
Graeme

Your forthcoming book sounds very interesting.

Perhaps you can keep us all posted via this web site as to when it will be available for sale?

I am sure our Librarian Peter Hemmings would also be interested in selling copies via our library.

Regards

George
Hon Sec
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2013 :  09:39:47  Show Profile
Fortunately Jacko Jackson told the story about the two K3003's so detailed during morning coffee break, that now the Australian owner is sure about how genuine and valuable his car is !!
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000