Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear reflectors
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  08:18:56  Show Profile
Leaving aside the fact that red reflectors at the rear are legally required, does anyone see any real benefit in having them?

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  09:45:44  Show Profile
Now that these cars do not need a MOT, there is no official check, but if the constabulary want to throw the book at you for irritating them, then you are on a hiding to nothing.

Of course you ensure both your rear lights are working at all times when out at night, otherwise cabooooom, no car.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  12:46:27  Show Profile
Agreed that without reflectors, one might attract the unwanted attention of Her Majesty's finest, but leaving that aside do they actually offer any benefit? If one's rear lights have packed up, I doubt if reflectors are going to be sufficient to get you home safely at night. And while they might have been useful in the days when one would have parked one's car on an unlit road at night, that's not likely to be the case nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  10:55:51  Show Profile
As a frequent follower of MMM cars, I am often agreeably surprised at how effective the rear reflectors can be in a following car's headlights, emphasised by the bouncing about of the MMM suspension. For my part, I think for the outlay of a pound or so, plus two small holes drilled in the rear wings, they perform a very worthwhile function. Certainly a much greater contribution to general road safety than the modern excruciatingly glaring white lasers fitted to many modern cars, which for the driver of any car sitting low to the road, can be blxxxy dangerous.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  11:59:00  Show Profile
But are they more effective than decent tail lights, Colin?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  13:03:28  Show Profile
Colin, I couldn't agree more about the searchlights. I find it takes me back to the recommendation that one always used headlights at night, even in a lit area. I thought it a wonderful idea when I was one of the few that did; I was clearly visible while I may, just possibly, have been able to see better. Once everyone started doing it I found people or objects in the shadows which had been visible were now harder to make out (& my eyes were young then).

The worst is the long queue of stationary rush hour traffic, all with their headlights glaring off the wet road. Only the leader of the pack needs them, & life would be a lot easier if the others saved their amps.

Off one of my hobby-horses now!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  16:12:23  Show Profile
... and the long queue of dazzling brake lights, 'cos nobody takes their foot off the brake and uses the handbrake.(my hobby-horse)
Graham

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 15/12/2013 16:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  16:45:31  Show Profile
Simon Are they better than a decent set of rear lights ? I don't know, but you don't hsve to replace their fuses quite so often.

On the question of modern "dazzlers", I have taken to using a pair of yellow tinted anti-glare glasses at night, which I find really, really good. Even in dusky conditions, they make everything that much clearer, and at night, they take the painful intensity out of oncoming headlamps,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  16:52:56  Show Profile
That's interesting Colin. Are they proper glasses? The reason I ask is I bought an admittedly cheap pair of clip-ons like the sunglass ones & really couldn't tell any difference. Maybe as usual you get what you pay for!

On reflectors; I can't help feeling that, if he can see his headlights reflected in them, he can probably see your car illuminated by his searchlights, but there you go. S&V do a very nice little pair that look quite period.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  17:11:20  Show Profile
I have reflectors on the car, but I'm contemplating some rejigging of the rear lights and wondered if, legal issues aside, the reflectors actually have any relevance these days. They just make the back of the car look untidy!
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  17:12:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graham holdsworth

... and the long queue of dazzling brake lights, 'cos nobody takes their foot off the brake and uses the handbrake.(my hobby-horse)
Graham

My brake lights are wired to also come on when my handbrake is used.
As I use it frequently, I want the following fast traffic to see that I'm slowing or (especially) stopped!!
Safety Fast

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  18:35:30  Show Profile
Simon. What magic formula have you found to make the rear of a MMM look tidy?

From another viewpoint, so to speak, I sometimes find myself driving a modern towards one of the local A7 Chummies on the opposite side at night. The A7 is completely invisible when seen from in front of a battery of lights from the queue of cars behind it. I know my MMM has better lights, but all cars of that era, and some post-wars, are under-lit in today's traffic.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  18:54:14  Show Profile
Bob, I guess 'tidy' is a relative term in this case! But I do find having two little reflectors stuck on, no matter where they're located, rather 'untidy'. And without the MOT tester to face I'm debating dispensing with them altogether. Hence my query.

But in relation to your other point, it's a concern I would share and I think the solution may well be to fit LED lights. I have LED side and tail lights and they are much more obvious than the standard 5W ones, without being overly bright. I also have flashing amber LED indicators front and rear. The chap who produces the LED conversions for the 'pork pie' rear lights is bringing LED headlights to market very soon. He currently has them for single filament bulbs but he expects to have the twin filament ones shortly. I think that would address the problem of our cars being barely visible when approaching as the white light of the LEDs of would be much more visible than the glow worm of the regular bulbs, especially on 6V systems.

And then there's the added bonus of negligible power draw. I really think this is the way to go these days.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/12/2013 18:55:55
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  19:05:40  Show Profile
One of the MMM problems is the low level rear lighting set on most two-seaters.

The four-seaters, with their lights higher up on the bodywork, are much more akin to modern cars. Would there be a case for a 'trailer-board' mounted at the four-seater level for winter use? The caravan suppliers have all the bits.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  19:40:42  Show Profile
Bob, that's exactly the route I am thinking of, though not with a trailer board but simply by relocating the 'pork pie' lights (complete with brake lights and amber indicators) up to the wing stays between the wings and the fuel tank. Then I can use just a regular J2 tail light to illuminate the number plate light. Neat and tidy and much, much safer I reckon.

Playing around with Photoshop resulted in this approximation of how such a conversion might look. (It lacks a number plate light for the moment!)

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/12/2013 20:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  21:59:56  Show Profile
Alternatively what about the neat little pork pie mounts the Dutch fit on the rear wing stays? The drawings are on the MGMMM site.

They could easily be modified to carry reflectors thus satifying the Boys in Blue while not making non standard holes in your car.

Dave

Oops! Typed this out, got the call to supper, returned afterwards & posted only then seeing your post Simon!

Edited by - Oz34 on 15/12/2013 22:02:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000