Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Save the Brighton Speed Trials - Petition
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  23:44:27  Show Profile
To all,

I have received the following email regarding the endangered Brighton Speed Trials. Not sure if you need to be a resident to register and sign the petition but I have done so anyway.

I need your help to save the Brighton Speed Trials - the longest running motorsport event in the UK. It is under threat by Brighton and Hove Council who want to refuse permission and block the event taking place on the seafront.

You can help by signing our petition and sharing the link with friends:
http://tinyurl.com/qjtbmub. Don't delay; the council will be making a decision on 23 January 2014!

You may not be aware but the Speed Trials has been running in Brighton since
1905 and is an entertaining fun-packed day out for the whole family to watch
some of the UK's best race cars and motor bikes compete along Madeira Drive.
Over two hundred cars and motor bikes line up to take a timed run including
road cars, race cars and drag bikes who compete to win the fastest in their
class. A top six run-off to find the fastest car and bike brings the day to
a dramatic close.

Don't let the council block the event, please sign the petition and spread
the word.

Many thanks

Committee B&HMC

T.J.

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  00:02:19  Show Profile
Chris, that link doesn't seem to work however, here's the link for the supporters;

http://www.savebrightonspeedtrials.com/

& here's the EPetition link;

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=410&RPID=11175561&HPID=11175561

I always understood Madiera Drive was private property, but of course we have the Green Party in power there.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  10:24:38  Show Profile
Thanks Chris and Dave,

I have signed the petition. I have been attending the Speed Trials as a spectator since 1950 or so, and have competed on a number of occasions. At one time we even had a specific MMM Class, and even in recent years you could always find a few MMM cars competing in the Vintage Class. In the 30s top class MG drivers such as Hugh Hamilton, Jim and Peggy Elwes, Denis and Doreen Evans, George Harvey Noble, Robin Jackson, Aubrey Ashton-Rigby, Whitney Straight, Peter Monkhouse and many others competed.

It must continue.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  10:39:15  Show Profile
Me too - always intended to compete, not made it yet...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  11:11:35  Show Profile
Both my wife and I have signed...as Brighton residents.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  11:37:10  Show Profile
Me too. Competed in my first MGA many, many years ago !
Graham

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 22/12/2013 11:39:19
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  11:59:14  Show Profile
On what grounds are they threatened with cancellation?

The April motorcycle Pioneer Run, the November London to Brighton as well as other functions are held on Madeira Drive and all attract much trade and hotel / restaurant bookings to Brighton.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  12:27:41  Show Profile
Signed - and publicised elsewhere!
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  14:19:42  Show Profile

Signed and circulated
This should be mandatory for all Triplemers!

McEvoy

Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2013 :  14:49:36  Show Profile
Bob, probably because of last years rare fatality .
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  10:56:12  Show Profile
You could well be right Graham, although there is something of a mystery about it all. The September 2013 event was cancelled due to the fact that the Coroner's verdict had not been released in connection with the 2012 fatality. In that a motor cycle combination failed to slow down after the finish line, hitting an obstacle and the girl pillion rider was thrown off and died. The rider himself was also badly injured.

The Club felt that it was unwise to run the 2013 event in case the Coroner had any safety recommendations to make. I understood however, that Brighton council wanted the event to continue and offered an alternative date, which was not acceptable to the Club. The Council would now appear to have changed their minds and have suggested that the event is no longer welcome. It might well be that a high speed display of very fast and noisy cars, including quite a number of very expensive super-cars - all involving the recreational use of petrol (for pleasure purposes only - provided that you don't inhale !) no longer fits in with the Green Party's credentials. Time will tell.

Just pleae sign, if you haven't already done so. Earlier today the tally had reached about 2500, so we could do with a few thousand more to be really effective. I do not think the petition is restricted to Brighton residents, but is open to all the thousands and thousands of people who simply turn up to enjoy the occasion, some of them from outside of the U.K.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  14:51:14  Show Profile
Thanks for - finally - letting us know the reasons for the request to sign a petition. It would seem from the 'net that not all of Brighton Council are against the event and it is equally possible that not all MMM members regard the Green movement with the contempt displayed in a couple of the posts.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2013 :  17:11:54  Show Profile
To all, in case you were not aware, Madeira Drive was specifically built for speed events against the clock.
Good luck with the petition.
Nick Dean.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  20:02:29  Show Profile
There is an interesting article by Graeme Archer relating to this topic and outlining information still lacking on this Forum, which potential supporters of the Speed Trials might want to consider.

It is to be found on Page 24 0f today's Daily Telegraph. No doubt it is also available online.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  20:24:13  Show Profile
Here's the article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/10549245/Fears-about-safety-are-killing-Brighton.html

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  12:23:53  Show Profile
I too have signed. There were 10,695 others when I logged on (9/1/13 at 12.20)

Keith Gosden
PA 0909 - 4 seat tourer
Register No. 0742
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000