Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Battery charger
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  12:00:36  Show Profile
You're right Chris but it's only really a convention. Sticking to this method ensures that the fuse still operates to protect the wiring on circuits which have only one accessible return lead. In these circumstances there is a shared return lead (it is only really a "ground" or "earth" lead when it is actually connected to the actual ground or earth) and although fusing it would provide protection it would also affect all other circuits which are using it as a return. It goes without saying that using the chassis as a return as in our cars that fusing this is rather impractical. Having said all that if you are fusing an individual circuit, as you are, with access to both leads, then the fuse will operate satisfactorily in either lead. This is similar to the perennial "problem" which people cite when connecting negative earth devices to positive earth cars. In this case simply making sure that the case is insulated from all other electrical connections (such as happens on a wooden dashboard), and connecting + and - to it correctly, it will work OK. I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much by including that.

Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  12:10:41  Show Profile
Thanks Ian,

Very clear and understood.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  01:43:33  Show Profile
Before I retired I was an Electrical Engineer & designed a number of charging systems for forklift battery installations.
Hydrogen discharging will not be a problem with 'battery conditioners' associated with our types of cars.
Hydrogen discharge during lead acid battery charging is dependant upon the rate of charge & the number of cells being charged (6 in the case of a 12V battery). The maximum rate of discharge is approx. 0.46 litres / ampere / cell / hour. My own unit has a charge rate of 0.75A, therefore the max. amount of hydrogen / hour is 0.46 x 0.75 x 6 or 2.07 litres/hour.
As even a small single car garage has a volume of 18,000l this represents .012% by volume. Hydrogen is flammable when the volume is in the range 4% to 90%.
Natural leakage in a well constructed garage is equal to 1 air change an hour so there is a safety factor in the order of 33 to 1.
Sorry about all the maths, it is just the Engineer in Me!!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  13:15:22  Show Profile
Thanks Geoff. Don't apologise. It's good to have these things put into perspective by someone who knows the underlying science.

Malcolm

M Type

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000