Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 E-mail account hacked
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2014 :  22:23:13  Show Profile
It seems that my Google e-mail account was hacked at around 6 pm UK time today, so I apologise to anyone who may have received one or more of 106 distinctly dubious e-mail messages that were purportedly sent out in my name.

My clever IT-expert son has coached me through seting up Google's 2-step verification process which makes it more difficult for these meddlers to break into the system. Hopefully that's the last of it!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2014 :  14:45:39  Show Profile
Yes, I got one from you as well.
Also got one from Mike Allison and from David Naylor.
So it seems to have become well travelled.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2014 :  22:29:28  Show Profile
If you opened any of the emails from Dick, Mike or David I recommend you change your password ASAP.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2014 :  22:34:42  Show Profile
I just received another email from David Naylor's hacked account. If someone has his telephone number would they please let him know.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  07:27:02  Show Profile
Nick,

Presumably the risk was in clicking on the link embedded in the fake email rather than simply opening the email to read it in the normal way?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  09:52:24  Show Profile
I'm always slightly puzzled about the term "opening" an email. If I receive 1 email & sit, doing nothing but watching the screen, after a few moments the little envelope opens. Have I thus opened the mail, or does this mean double clicking on it so that it comes up in a separate window?

Confused of Ripe
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  13:16:05  Show Profile
Simon is correct, any damage should only occur if the embedded link is clicked on. However, I think it is still safer to simply delete the email without opening it. Clues are often in the subject line - particularly no subject or a misspelled subject.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2014 :  22:05:50  Show Profile
Won't a good Security Software (e.g. Norton 360) deal with any rogue malwares embedded in an email, even if the email and it's attachment are opened?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  04:28:40  Show Profile
Bruce,

The emails didn't have an attachment but had a link to click on. I doubt I f any security software will keep you safe if you click on the link. And I think it would be foolhardy to assume that security software would always protect you if you opened a malicious attachment. If In doubt, don't!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2014 :  16:28:11  Show Profile
Simon, thanks, I'll follow your advice.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked