Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Missing parts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roy

Sweden
17 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2014 :  17:44:52  Show Profile
can anyone helping me to find a man in Fraserburg Aberdeenshire AB43 9AQ I have purchased and payed some parts but I have not got anything so if there is anyone in that region who are villing to help please let me know on my e-mail info@sodrekvarn.se
Many Thanks
Roy Palm Sweden

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2014 :  12:24:15  Show Profile
Roy
Where did you see the advertisement for the parts? It might help.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2014 :  14:00:20  Show Profile
Can you tell us what parts and what cost? It's a bit of a distance for me but there may not be anyone else nearer. Can you give the name and address? I'm in Montrose.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Amilcar John

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2014 :  14:03:23  Show Profile
I'm afraid that there is a strong chance you have been the victim of fraud. I have heard recently of a number of similar cases, all of which offer cheap parts and claim an address in a remote and distant (for most of us) part of Scotland to prevent viewing.

As a safeguard, I always make sure to ask for additional photos of a specific part and ask if a local friend can view the item for sale -even if there is no friend to do so. This usually flushes out the criminals...

John

MG J3 replica
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2014 :  22:44:40  Show Profile
Roy, it isn't the ENV gearbox scam again is it? The 'seller' used an address in Elgin to receive money.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2014 :  23:47:38  Show Profile
If this is the phantom scammer in Scotland then the police will only intervene when he has actually committed the theft.

Where was the advert. Was it Craiglists and did you pay by Western Union? The latter should always be the absolute give away.

The ENV manual gearbox saga has by the way popped up again 16 days ago on Craiglists and is now 'available' in aberdeen.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  14:50:28  Show Profile
Have we a member in the area who would speak to the local police or Trading Standards people?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 27/02/2014 14:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  08:45:47  Show Profile
I suspect I may be the closest (Montrose), but still a four hour round trip. I've contacted a friend in Aberdeen who will try to make enquiries, but neither of us knows anyone in Fraserburgh or nearby.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Amilcar John

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  12:27:35  Show Profile
Perhaps my previous post wasn't very clear...my guess is that the fraudulent advertiser is not located in Scotland at all...but merely uses a remote address to discourage those who wish to inspect parts personally before sending funds to pay for them.

Of course, I may be wrong in this case, but that has been the scenario in previous fraud cases.

John

MG J3 replica
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  16:18:39  Show Profile
AB43 9AQ appears to be a street full of shops - non of which are of a motor or engineering related type.
However the local Consumer Protection and Trading Standards people are in this street.
Maybe you should contact them first.
Is it a fraudster with a sense of [warped] humour
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  17:51:50  Show Profile
On my website (run by my son, as I don't have a clue!) there is a warning about scammers on every advert. If you click on the link below and page down on the advert you will see what we say.

http://ttypes.org/classifieds/parts-for-sale-wanted/for-sale-td-head-lamps_190

Despite this, one or two of our people occasionally get caught and in one such case we managed to track the scammer down and after the due process of law he was sent down for a number of years.

Sadly, he'll only serve half his sentence, he'll be able to live the life of Riley in prison with a copious supply of drugs to keep him 'topped up' and when he comes out he'll be at it again.

"Lock 'em up and throw away the key" is what I say, but there's no chance of this, what with 'elf' and safety and all the 'do-gooders'about these days!
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  18:04:54  Show Profile
The scammer can use a genuine address to pick up mail without actually living there. This is clearly an easy scam to operate and it has been running for years. It looks like the authorities are powerless. This was discussed back in 2010 under "ENV Gearbox N0. 1294 Question" and subsequently.

The scammer copies a genuine ad and asks the honest seller for further details and pictures. The scammer can then use the ad again but this time with his own contact details and he is able to very plausibly provide extra detail if requested.

I wonder how many bogus ads the scammer has on the go - why not hundreds? Easier than working and tax free !!

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 28/02/2014 18:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  19:08:52  Show Profile
NEVER EVER deal with anyone wanting to use Western Union. The golden rule.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000