Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Do I need a shop full of NC machines?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  01:13:42  Show Profile
As I progress into restoring my PA, I am being progressively intimidated into SPT - a state of perpetual trepidation.

It seems that many of you on this blog have machine shops. I don't. The most recent thread by Tim Green in the Technical Section, entitled "Luvax Links" is a case in point. I have restored several cars but have never needed any machining, especially creative machining.

I do have a chap up the road restoring a Vincent Black Shadow, and he's had to fabricate a cylinder barrel from scratch, and that's the sort of thing that scares me. All those special tools just to mount a shock absorber! My friend up the road has offered to help me re-babbit the bearings, but to have to actually fabricate a tool to do a single job is out of my domain.

I have excellent tools to do the chassis and tub, but it seems that I may be on my own when it comes to engine and drive train mechanics.

I'm just ranting - no need for replies or sympathy.

Gord Clark, PA0921
Rockburn, Qué.

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  09:29:59  Show Profile
I agree it is indeed somewhat intimidating when you read of the engineering prowess of others, but I have neither the knowledge, space, or finance for any of this either.

For me, part of the intrigue is asking others for alternative ideas and solutions that could resolve certain engineering problems, and over the years I have gathered friends and colleagues around me that can on occasion, help me out with any daunting problems that I encounter.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  13:44:24  Show Profile
Gord,
Do not despair. I rebuilt my dilapidated PA as a student back in the 70's with little cash and few tools, and it runs well till this very day.
You might have an issue if you only have a pile of mismatching bits, want 100HP and a car that shines like it is made of glass.
I put my Luvax rubbers in with a section of pipe, washers, g-clamp and cursing - still working. Built a new ash frame with handsaws and planes, did get a panel beater to cover it though - doubt if anyone except a real expert would know. Only a matter of copying the old bits until they match - not rocket science. Never skimmed a brake drum or the linings, and they are definitely not round, but the cables take this up and it brakes like nothing (tester was very surprised).
Then there were more second hand parts around and very few new,so it might cost a little more now, but it is easier.
I would suggest reading the older yearbooks and bulletins that are on the web, as they have many of the simpler tricks in them.

keep going

David
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  17:29:36  Show Profile
Your friend may have wanted, rather than needed, to machine a Vincent barrel and its alloy jacket - they are usually available both new and used, ex-stock, from a number of concerns.

I have the usual small lathe and bench drill, the latter useful, the former mainly there to give an exaggerated idea of my capabilities to visitors, just used for bits and bobs, since the spares supply for the PA is still pretty good.

My wallet will, no doubt, shrink further to the benefit of our spares suppliers next Sunday at Stoneleigh (DV).

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2014 :  21:13:18  Show Profile
I'm new to the pre-war car game, but I am finding it necessary to create some jigs/tools to make up some parts that I either can't or don't want to buy.
However, with some trial and error, and some excellent and kind assistance from people of this forum, I've managed to make some pieces that I've been happy with. Most of which have been done with a pillar dril, a vice, a MIG welder and various hand tools.

The only thing I have invested in is a lathe which has proven useful so far.

It's definitely not impossible to do many things without a full machine shop! Just takes longer and requires some mistakes along the way!
But isn't that half the fun of these old things?
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  03:41:12  Show Profile
I too am new to the pre-war game. And I have no choice but to learn quickly.

I should add, that I have several MGs and am frequently on the TD/TF forum. Its absolutely great and we lend tools between us. So far, seems to work well.

GAC
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000