Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Stoneleigh 2014
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  11:00:02  Show Profile
Apparently there was a chap at the recent Stoneleigh event selling replica dashbord enamel plaques - specially those for University Motors. Does anyone know who this chap was, and how he can be contacted ?

Many thanks.

Colin B.

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  15:15:45  Show Profile
Replica University Motors plaques have been advertised on Fleabay for years - same vendor?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  10:11:21  Show Profile
Thanks very much for that Bob. I am now in touch with the Ebay trader.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  11:39:27  Show Profile
Colin they look very nice but are different from the original one on my J2 - see below.

Think I have seen other styles as well.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  13:53:09  Show Profile
Terry - have a look at the one i have posted under 'Parts for sale'. This looks to be an original version of the reproductions on ebay. The major difference I can see (not having had them side by side in front of me) is that the St. Christopher is raised in a shallow dome on the original whereas the reproductions are completely flat. JR Gaunt appears to be a well known badge maker, making many military cap badges, regimental insignia etc as well as Robinson's Marmalade 'badges' (not wishing to cause offence by using an out of date term) and Butlins year and camp lapel badges.

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  15:30:27  Show Profile
Hi Hugh
The one on my car came from the original dash for the car but whether it was a 1933 fitment or later I do not know. Maybe UM had several different designs.
Must have a chat - will give you a call.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2014 :  10:23:18  Show Profile
Thanks for the extra picture Terry. Apparently there were a number of "UM" plaques in period, but whether they were related to specific years, I do not know The replicas sold on Ebay are advertised as "Plaques for TC, TD TF etc." As Hugh says they certainly look very similar to the one he has for sale which presumably is definitely pre-war. We asked Michael Ellman-Brown, who is more expert on such matters than most, and even he is unsure as to how many there were and which years they applied to.

My own PA has a "UM" plaque which was in place on the tool box lid, when I bought the car in 1958, but it is quite unlike the ones which have been posted on this thread. It is a simple blue plaque about 2" x 1" quoting the name "University Motors" with an address in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London - not Stratton House, W1. Very odd.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000