Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Electric wiper motor location
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
943 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2014 :  15:00:31  Show Profile
The J3 3752 with the Belgian (?) number plate, P4 on the Dutch site also appears to have 'untidy' wiring. So could it be that some had and some did not as OE?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2014 :  16:21:38  Show Profile
J3 3752 was refitted with a Bosch wiper motor, mounted centrally, when it was taken to Germany. Note the horn and headlamps in the photo. The registration is prewar German, issued in Baden-Baden.

http://www.mgmmm.com/type-J-foto%27s.htm

John
J3752
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2014 :  17:19:26  Show Profile
If fact this topic was aired in an earlier thread here http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5475&SearchTerms=Electric,wiper

The conclusion would seem to be that the reason for the passenger side location of the electric wiper motor when factory fitted to production cars was simply that was the wiper motor and wiper arm assembly that Lucas supplied. But the availability during 1933 (or possibly earlier?) of an electric motor that could simply be fitted in place of the vacuum one meant that the factory could supply an electric set up if required and also that owners could themselves easily make the modification. Hence the numerous pictures of centrally mounted electric wiper motors on Js - not standard but an easy and simple modification. And one I plan to do on my J2, i.e. revert to the central location, but electric, not vacuum!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  03:11:13  Show Profile
This crop from the well known photo of J3755 on the Monte Carlo Rally in January 1933 shows the wipers parked in a way that would suggest an electric wiper motor. With a vacuum wiper motor the wiper blades tend to end up sitting vertically as there wasn't the same sort of mechanical lock for parking the wiper blades that the electric motor switchgear has.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  04:03:21  Show Profile

Following this topic led to a discovery about my own car—that it retained a vacuum wiper motor for a while after moving to the continent. The date of the photo is unknown, but is pre-1935, probably February 1934. Glad the countess ditched that Bosch horn. Hurts to look at it.

John
J3752

Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  12:46:58  Show Profile
I like the J2 center mounted electric wiper motor. I have a copy of the booklet "MG 1929-1934 which contains various reports on MG cars of the era. My copy was distributed by Motor Books and Accessories. London. Foreward by R.M.Clarke. These reports are reproduced either from "The Motor " or "The Autocar ".
The J2 Autocar Road Test, Page 28, ( original Autocar page 251 ), dated 5th August, 1932, shows a J2 with center vacuum motor.
The Motor, page 32, ( original Motor page 51 ), dated August 9, 1932 shows a J2 "introduced at the showrooms of University Motors, London" with a center mounted Lucas electric wiper motor.
So it would appear that either vacuum or electric motors, center mounted , can be considered correct.
J3017 now has an electric motor, feed wire inside the windscreen frame, above the glass, but using the original vacuum line hole in the RHS of the dash where the vacuum tube from the manifold was located.
Best regards from Canada, Bob
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  13:38:41  Show Profile
Bob,

Any chance you could scan the picture of the J2 at UM showrooms with the electric wiper and post it here? Good to have such things on the record.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Gabriel

Sweden
41 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2014 :  13:05:21  Show Profile
Att.: Drolshagen, The motor on that J3 appear to be a Bosch. They are very well made. You could have them 6volt or 12 and chose between millimeter axel or a inch variant. If you look inside the are exactly like a Lucas.
I have learned early in life by Colin Tieche I think, that when using a Vacuum motor the rubber tube came out on the offside. Later with electrics the wires came out on the left hand side with
holes in the windscreen for the small chromed holders but if it is right or wrong I can not say. But with Vacuum vipers the offside seems more logical with the SUs on that side.

/Gabriel
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2014 :  16:56:27  Show Profile
I don't think there's any doubt that the suction pipe was on the driver's side of the screen but just in case there is, this photo of my car in its youth clearly shows the rubber tube curving around the lower corner of the screen on the right hand side.

And this photo shows where the rubber pipe enters the body.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 27/03/2014 17:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  14:34:05  Show Profile
Some further observations on the fitting of electric wiper motors. The photo of the L2 on this thread http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7629 clearly shows the wiring for the wiper motor taking the same route as the vacuum pipe on J2 would, i.e. it enters the screen in the lower right hand side and exits to the right of the wiper motor. The screen even has the little reinforcing plates where it's cut away to enable the vacuum pipe to be fitted. Are all L2 screens wired like this? And would the vacuum tube still be there with the wiring running inside it?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
433 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2014 :  15:31:18  Show Profile
Hi
looking at factory photos bought when they were available from MMM,and the parts lists, the L2 had a central electric motor fed from the divers side and the L1 tourer had an electric motor fitted on the passenger side and fed from that side.

Sven
L2039 and L0671
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  09:53:45  Show Profile
That's interesting, Sven. I have the L parts list on DVD but haven't yet been able to get it to work properly on my laptop so couldn't check these things out myself. Many thanks.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  18:02:19  Show Profile
Just been looking at this thread in an idle moment. Looking at Johns' post & photo from 24/03; would anyone like to guess the identity of the K3 in the photo?
JH

Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  19:21:18  Show Profile
Jeremy,

I do not have to guess, it is K3008.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

etaylor

Australia
27 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  03:57:55  Show Profile
Further to Terry's observations, my J3 also had the vacuum piping installed within the windscreen frame. Period photos in 1934 of the car when first in Australia show the vacuum motor installed.
I removed the vacuum line and used the space for the electrical wires. The electric motor is obviously centrally mounted and still uses the original wiper blade mechanism (complicated looking but they work a treat).
Ed (J3762)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000