Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Electric wiper motor location
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
943 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  08:16:22  Show Profile
To me, for the J3's, a far more interesting question than how the vacuum tube made its way to the wiper is: 'where did it start from'?

I really cannot believe the wiper's motive power came from anywhere on the pressurised manifold, since this would fill the car with puffs of an interestingly explosive mix.

If it was truly vacuum operated, then the vacuum can only have come from a point between the carburettor and the blower. This creates the question as to whether there are there any signs of this fixture, and if not, just how was the wiper driven

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  18:58:47  Show Profile
Ed,

Any chance of a photo of the wiper arms and connecting link?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  20:50:30  Show Profile
Ian: I have often wondered what the irregular line in the factory J3 photo might be, the one which meanders down from the blower support cross-tube to the area of the intake manifold and ends in what appears to be a pipe union.

John
J3752

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
943 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  07:40:19  Show Profile
Thank you again, John; that is the practical answer to the conundrum (and one you gave earlier which I did not pick up on - oops!)

Next question; if it tracks on the carburettor side, why is the feed up the driver side of the windscreen, rather than the shorter route up the passenger side?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6150 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  08:01:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers
Next question; if it tracks on the carburettor side, why is the feed up the driver side of the windscreen, rather than the shorter route up the passenger side?

Perhaps simply because the J2 windscreens were made with the vacuum tube already installed on the driver's side so not worth making special screens? Plus the extra length of pipe might give a bit of a vacuum reservoir.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000