Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG D-Type De Clifford and TVG Selby
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Perth

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2014 :  00:11:59  Show Profile
Does anyone know whether the MG raced by Freddy de Clifford and TVG Selby at the 1932 Mille Miglia still exists? I understand that it was a D-Type. I am chasing a picture of the car, preferably at the Mille Miglia for my forthcoming book.

All the best
Graeme

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2014 :  09:25:28  Show Profile
Hi Graeme,

I believe they drove a C-type, C0252.

Regards,
Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2014 :  11:58:05  Show Profile
Hi Cathelijne
Thanks for the info.
I found a couple of references to it being a D-Type but the race number 37 certainly matches. Where did this picture appear?

All the best
Graeme
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2014 :  18:20:01  Show Profile
Hi Graeme,

I believe this picture first appeared in The Light Car & Cycle Car, although I'd have to look it up to be certain.
My folders with the related info are currently in the UK, so I can't look it up for you at the minute, but from memory I know there is more than just the racing number tying in; Several magazines stated The Clifford drove a 750cc car, the service file mentions the Mille Miglia, I have other pictures of the car showing it in action during the event, etc. Also from memory, there is some confusion as to who was his actual/eventual passenger with different magazines giving different names. Will look it all up as soon as I have my info at hand again.

Cheers,
Cat

P.S. What sort of book are you working on?

Edited by - Cathelijne on 23/03/2014 18:20:24
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  05:56:17  Show Profile
Dear Cat
I am working on a book covering the MG team supercharged Magnettes from 1933 including the two prototypes and the three team cars. It is due out in August. It was started a few years ago to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the MG win at the Mille Miglia but it has expanded considerably.

All the best

Graeme

www.lemansbentley.com.au
www.motoringpast.com.au
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  09:25:07  Show Profile
Hello Graeme

The book sounds very interesting, please keep us posted via this web site as to when it is published and where we can buy it.

Best regards

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  09:50:31  Show Profile
Lord de Clifford, Edward Southwell Russell, 1907 - 1982, was later associated with Lagonda and was the last peer to be tried in the House of Lords.
Thomas Vivian Gott Selby, 1907 - 1967, was stated as second in the 1100cc class at Rome and then retired with a broken camshaft drive key in the 1932 Mille Migila. Had drive a C type in the 1931 12/12 no. 63. then raced Bugattis. After the war was Competition Manager for Bristol in the 1950s Le Mans period. See Motor Sport August 1953.
Hope this of interest.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

john joynes

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  11:59:58  Show Profile
See also historicracing.com for more info
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  13:06:49  Show Profile
Very, Mike, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  13:13:21  Show Profile
and they were quicker than the Magnettes!
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  15:53:52  Show Profile
Good website that, John!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2014 :  08:14:42  Show Profile
Thanks all. Yes, I'm finalising the book now. I am trying to use photographs from 1933 which have not been published before. It's quite a challenge but if anyone has any pictures that are from private collections that they would like to contribute, I would love to see them,

Graeme
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  11:31:01  Show Profile
Hi all,

I must say I was thrown by the reference to "Freddy" de Clifford, as I had only seen him referred to as "Ted". Mike D. confirms this. He was something of a motoring celebrity in the thirties, eventually throwing a great deal of his family fortune at the Lagonda Company, and then the Rapier Car Co when that ceded from the parent company. My son in law can give you more details than I, my contact being when de Clifford and Symons formed a duo in the 1935 Monte Carlo Rally, starting their run in Umea, Northern Sweden, about which I have written previously.

Lord de Clifford was the last member of the House of Lords to be tried "by his peers", when he was charged with manslaughter following a road accident.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  15:52:11  Show Profile
At some point in the past, somebody (possibly Anthony Blight, who at the very least perpetuated it) has managed to introduce a confusion between two contemporaneous drivers - Lord de Clifford and Major The Honourable Frederick E Clifford (Freddie Clifford) - creating a composite 'Freddy de Clifford'.

The big clue - as pointed out below - is that both of them competed in the 1934 Le Mans 24 Hours!

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/78787-freddie-clifford/?hl=%2Bclifford

In short therefore, the Mille Miglia driver should be referred to as Lord de Clifford. As Mike A points out he was primarily a Lagonda and Rapier man. More importantly, he was almost exclusively a rally and long-distance trial driver: the 1932 Mille Miglia and 1934 Le Mans were his only races.

But, just to confuse (but in an attempt to further clarify), Freddie Clifford was also associated with MGs: he was part of Goldie Gardner's entourage at the 1937 Frankfurt Rekordwoche. In 1938 he was supposed to share John Snow's Delahaye at Le Mans, but after Snow withdrew his entry Clifford co-drove with TASO Mathieson instead.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  16:11:21  Show Profile
Lord de Clifford also entered, drove and crashed C0252 in the Belgian 24h Grand Prix, three months after the Mille Miglia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000