Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM accessory luggage rack? Not quite......
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  17:47:05  Show Profile
A stainless, low-style luggage rack is being featured on Ebay - 121306403170 - which is, sadly, for T-Types only unless holes are drilled in your MMM chassis.................

Bob.

Oz34

United Kingdom
2568 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  19:50:55  Show Profile
Think what all that weight so far behind the rear wheels would do to the handling Bob. Maybe leave it to the T Typers?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2014 :  16:24:01  Show Profile
I have one of these fitted to my PA, but then I don't mind having a few extra holes in the chassis. It is very good quality, and I find it very useful. I perhaps wouldn't load it as much as is shown in the photo, and I also have Spax dampers fitted to the rear axle (ssshh, don't tell anyone), and I haven't had problems with handling at touring speeds. I bought it direct from the seller Paul Ireland, a couple of years ago, when he had a batch made up to reduce the cost of the one he wanted for himself.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2014 :  17:26:57  Show Profile
I posted these pictures on another thread recently but I think it's a good solution to the problem of carrying extra baggage, especially on a J2 as none of the available luggage racks, including Paul Ireland's, will fit the J2 properly as the chassis rails don't extend behind the rear cross tube.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 29/03/2014 17:35:15
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
116 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  07:56:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

I posted these pictures on another thread recently but I think it's a good solution to the problem of carrying extra baggage, especially on a J2 as none of the available luggage racks, including Paul Ireland's, will fit the J2 properly as the chassis rails don't extend behind the rear cross tube.

Simon J
J3437

Hello Simon,
Does not that solution put too much force on the sparewheel carrier? My carries has been broken twice and had to be welded so I don't want too much weight on the spare wheel.

So I only use a small backpack

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  12:30:11  Show Profile
Nice garage

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  12:34:18  Show Profile
Provided by Eurostar?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  13:27:08  Show Profile
Hi Maurice,

I have to say that a small back pack would not meet the luggage carrying expectations of Mrs. J when touring

But joking apart (was I joking?)I did give some thought to the question of weight and reckoned that provided I didn't overdo it, a bag hung on the spare wheel shouldn't put too much strain on the spare wheel carrier. The weight is carried both at the bottom where the carrier is secured to the rear cross tube, and at the top where it is attached to the bracket on the rear of the body. I aim to have the bag no heavier than one might have carry on luggage on an aircraft, say about 10-12 kgs. I've only used the bag once so far, for about 350 miles, but it seemed very secure and no evidence of the spare wheel carrier coming under strain.

And as I said on my other posting of these photos, it is totally waterproof which is a big plus.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
693 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  19:19:23  Show Profile
I too fitted a Paul Ireland luggage rack. With suitable brackets and spacers it was possible to fit without drilling any extra holes in the chassis.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000