Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cam Shaft Location
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  20:27:01  Show Profile
I have just cast some new cam shaft bushes (I melted down the old big ends!)and have spent two nights scraping them in. The shaft now turns beautifully with no play at all. I can see how the thrust, towards the rear, is taken by the front cam stand but what stops the shaft moving forwards and interfering with the meshing? Does the spiral gear simply push the shaft backwards?

I also have a solid bronze bush for the vertical drive rather than a Hyatt. I was speaking to someone at the MG Spares Day at Stonleigh and he said this is a very good modification. I note from a previous message, however, that Richard Hardy has simply used three ball races stacked on top of each other and found this works extremely well. Should I convert or stick with the bronze bush?

Cheers to all

Jan T

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  06:03:30  Show Profile
I use two ballraces with a spacer between, fitted directly into the head,i.e. no sleeve. This has been working fine for 30,000 miles or so. One advantage is that the bottom race can have its seal left in the bottom which keeps the oil in the head. I know the seals are really meant to keep dust etc out of the races rather than oil getting out , but it does help. Plus the whole settup costs about ú16.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  22:13:31  Show Profile
As Ian correctly says, you must machine spacers up to stack the whole arrangement up otherwise without, it may be poshed downwards and push against the vertical drive coupling.Best to locktite the bearings into the head also.

I drive my car hard and with 12 Ibs of boost. This bearing arrangement has proved far superior to all of the alternatives.

Let me know if you need the bearing reference numcer and I will find it.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2006 :  12:59:41  Show Profile
I am about to cut the small grooves which distribute oil along the bearings. I only have one original one and the groove goes axially from edge to edge, passsing over the oil gallery hole. Is this correct? Won't oil leak from the edges and reduce the oil pressure? Perhaps I should stop the groove just short of the edge?

Cheers to all

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2006 :  18:57:16  Show Profile
Richard,
I'd be interested in the bearing reference numbers, as I'll soon be getting on with the engine for my L
Regards, Kevin
Go to Top of Page

F_Magna

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2006 :  23:08:27  Show Profile
Qoute 'I am about to cut the small grooves which distribute oil along the bearings@

I thought present day practice was not to cut these grooves and rely on oil pressure and the wedge film of oil to do the job?
ch

F0392 Guildford UK
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  10:34:46  Show Profile
I found that the groove in the front camshaft bearing in my F-type pumped out far too much oil to the bevel gears so I used a (bottom) cam bearing that had the groove blanked (eg a rear front shell) so now rely on oil pressure. The spiral bevel gears push the cam against the thrusts (originally "Belleville"? washers, which seemed to work OK but I recently substituted solid washers/spacers). My M-type has a plain bronze (?) bush in the camshaft drive which seems to work perfectly. In my F-type very comprehensive rebuild I used a bearing kit I bought from Mike Dowley including the seal, etc. The lip seal mod is relatively easy and I have done it on the M-type (which used to "drown" the dynamo!). In both cases absolutely no oil escapes!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000