Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Disreputable eBay Dealing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  23:20:33  Show Profile
Some of you may have noticed the D Type radiator shell advertised on eBay. I had put a bid in which had been accepted and was higher than any reserve. The closing date was 19 Nov. Just returned home and found the item has been withdrawn from the sale "beacause it is no longer available for sale" I suspect the seller was afraid I was about to receive too much of a bargain. I thought that once a reserve price had been met the seller was obliged to sell to the highest bidderon the closing date. There was also a PA radiator for sale which has "disappeared". I wonder if the seller reads these messages - if so hold your head in shame.

JT

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2006 :  07:04:55  Show Profile
If you can recall, was the seller "mgrally"

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2006 :  17:28:27  Show Profile
Peter,

No it wasn't the person you mention but the guy still has J2 parts advertised on eBay.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2006 :  19:26:53  Show Profile
Yes I was the highest bidder for the other radiator which was suddenly removed also the J type windscreen was removed, I was also the highest bidder for another item from the same seller. I cancled my bid on that item as a protest.
Fred.
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2006 :  20:19:48  Show Profile
The problem is that buyers are contacting the seller with a direct offer at an attractive price that is difficult to resist and the seller then withdraws the item.

Not in the spirit of ebay of course and not something I support as I have had it happen to me on about 3 occasions in the last 5 years which is real frustrating to say the least especially when you have been diligently trawling the auctions for years for that elusive must have part.

I know the radiator is sold because the seller has told me that, I guess the purchaser must be smiling and possibly reading this... The only risk is to the person making the offer in that ebay does not protect the purchaser when the item is not won on auction and a underhanded seller could take your money with no recourse for the purchaser.

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2006 :  23:33:55  Show Profile
This chap is from Wales. Has no idea what he is selling and tapping people for all sorts of info and giving nothing in return. I thought that you cannot cancel an auction within 24 hours of the close if bids have been received. I think we were all watching and ready to bid on the rad, frame and shell etc. Yes, he has sold then privately. He is not MGrally by the way

Regards

Yorvik
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  10:09:27  Show Profile
name and shame ,then we can all steer clear. Rich
Go to Top of Page

blackdog

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  11:39:21  Show Profile

I am the person the subject of these comments and have been watching them with interest - and some dismay. I have a personal collection of 5 MGAs (my EBay id MSU868 is the registration number of an MGA I have driven for 15 years), 2 MG TCs and a J2 in need of restoration - and a large collection of triple M spares, rolling D type chassis etc etc. Although I intended to make no comments, I think I must.

I have 2 points to make: one is on the principle of selling things off EBay; the other is on the comments of others under the heading "Disreputable dealing".

As noted in Talbot's initial entry, the windscreen, rad and shell have been sold. I had a lot of people pestering me all week for these items - many, I guess, from this forum - to do a deal on these and I had resisted, but with these items sitting at a relatively low and stable price and with a revised offer from someone which accorded with my uninformed view of the value of these things, I accepted. I often remove things from Ebay - usually someone visits me to collect something else, expresses an interest in something I have in my crowded garage and we do a deal. It is in accordance with Ebay rules to remove something up until 12 hours before an item ends. I have no doubt I will do this again. Perhaps I should have apologised to the high bidders on the items I withdrew from EBay; I normally do and I'm not sure why I didn't this time.

Concerning the comments: I am baffled at seeing people with whom I have had many amicable communications joining the debate with an apparent naivety in presuming that I am not seeing anything that is being written. Firstly, I assumed that Talbot's intemperate remarks would be sufficient for people to form a judgement on their worth, and see no need to comment now beyond that which I have made above concerning Ebay rules. I have made a prompt and economic response to the contents of his EMail to me. Secondly, I noted MGPType's withdrawal of his bid on my radiator gauze, understood its cause and accepted it: I have no hard feelings about this: he has an absolute right to buy from whom he chooses as I have to block those I would rather not deal with: it's a big pond, there are many sellers to choose from and many buyers who will buy - it works both ways. I have a very good EBay record over many transactions - it isn't 100% - anyone who has dealt with me knows that I occasionally give ( and receive) bad feedback - I'm OK with this. I can find no fault with anything in MGPType's comments or his actions. Thirdly, Peter Steyn's comments were a measured assessment of things, I disagreed with nothing in that - although I found it slightly disingenuous, Peter, that you adopted such a high ground over removing things from EBay and over the risks of dealing outside of EBay? Surely you can't have forgotten the YA seats of February this year? We did this deal outside of EBay as I recall? I was delighted you were able to make such good use of these and still look forward to seeing the photos we have recently communicated on. Fourthly, Richard's comments are disappointing - I cannot accept the "tapping advice from people" comment: I have not sought out Richard's advice - although it has been welcomed and appreciated when it has been given. I have received Emails from Richard both before and after his comments were submitted on this forum and was dismayed to see the apparent disparity between the two. For the avoidance of doubt, I have not tapped you for advice, Richard, you will recall that in your EMails to me (3 last night, to which I will shortly respond) you have repeatedly invited me to send you photos of items. You sent me this a couple of days ago: "I enjoy helping people all I can so always feel free to email on any points". I am having difficulty squaring any of this with the comments you have made above.

Rather sad all this. I can assure Talbot, however, that I am not hanging my head in shame! Ditto Davies. And Mr Davies can rest easy that I have no burning desire to do business with him or with any other members of the sly club burgeoning under the disreputable title above.

Mark Maguire

MJM
Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  13:46:02  Show Profile
Mark
I'm relatively new to this forum. Have you considered using a Reserve to get your minimum price. Along with a BUY NOW at a higher price for the bidder that must have the part. We all know these parts are not that easy to find. Every one hates to lose out on a needed part but we all know nothing is cheep.
It is a little hard to break in to this group of collectors. The few I have been able to contact have been very helpful to me. We need each other, to help keep our cars on the road.
Gary
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  14:43:22  Show Profile
Thirdly, Peter Steyn's comments were a measured assessment of things, I disagreed with nothing in that - although I found it slightly disingenuous, Peter, that you adopted such a high ground over removing things from EBay and over the risks of dealing outside of EBay? Surely you can't have forgotten the YA seats of February this year? We did this deal outside of EBay as I recall? I was delighted you were able to make such good use of these and still look forward to seeing the photos we have recently communicated on. Mark Maguire

Mark, please do not get me wrong, I was not "adopting a high ground".

The purchase (for a friend) of the YA seats were not as a result of me offering you an attractive deal on a running auction and asking you to pull the auction. In my opinion it had nothing to do with eBay, although admittedly, this is where I got to learn about you. It was my 'risk' and choice entirely in the end and based on very sound eBay feedback from buyers on your auctions, and a good choice at that as you have been an absolute pleasure to deal with and always been more than accomodating and I hope we will do business again in the future

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 21/11/2006 14:54:18
Go to Top of Page

blackdog

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  14:45:42  Show Profile
Gary,

I very much appreciate your balanced comments - I am still trying to come to terms with the unexpected storm! I know only too well the difficulties of finding parts for a project - and the expense of them when you find them (sometimes you wish you hadn't!). This has delayed the advancement of my own J2 project over the past couple of years and on occasions brought me to the brink of selling it. Perhaps it is the very scarcity of these parts that has caused their removal to draw such ire. I have some more things which I hope will fund my J2 restoration (it's been off the road since 1966) and when I list them (I doubt I'll have any time before February) I'll think long and hard before removing them!

Mark

MJM
Go to Top of Page

blackdog

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  15:03:02  Show Profile
Peter,

Thanks for this. I agree you did nothing wrong and it's always good to see some derelict part that has been lying around for many years (on top of my J2 bonnet more recently as it happens!) find a good home. I'm grateful for your endorsement and look forward to dealing with you again in the future.

Mark

MJM
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  16:45:39  Show Profile
I would be more than prepared to shake hands with Blackdog and attribute the problem to eBay's poor policies (just try withdrawing an item halfway through bidding at Southerbys) if it wasn't for his reply to my email to him explaining that he was obliged to sell to the highest bidder. He now appears to be quite eloquent - a contrast to his single word reply "idiot"

Thanks for all the rplies

JT
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  17:36:02  Show Profile
I for one do not wish to make enemis with anyone on this list (there is enough hate in this world already) but I think it would be a good idea if anyone has any mmm spares to sell would offer them to the list first at a sensible and realistic price then if no one needs them then put them up for auction, this way the person selling gets the price he wants without being put in an awkward situation and the buyer gets the part they need without the hassle. I have asked the list several times for a part or information that I needed with some success and will no doubt ask again. It is so frustrating to bid on an item you need for your project and watch it closely for days always entering a higher bid if out bid and then all of a sudden the item is no longer for sale.

Fred. PA0788
Go to Top of Page

Bill Putnam

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  18:02:53  Show Profile
One observation I'd like to make-

In my experience the sale price can increase several fold during the final seconds of an auction. Personally, I do not withdraw an item I've listed on e bay in order to sell it to an outside party-I encourage them to put that price as their bid on the auction, and then the market determines whether it is truly a high price. This to me is just good business practice, but I respect that it is up to the seller if they want to withdraw an item within the rules of ebay.

Bill Putnam
J3488, running a new Phoenix crankshaft paid with funds from the sale of a model train set!

bputnam@cityofmadison.com
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  18:37:35  Show Profile
I have just read Blackdog's message once agin and am appalled at his use of the word intemperate with regard to my original message. I ask him to go to the eBay site and click on help. If he then searches for Reserve Price Policy he will see the following is listsed as a breach of policy "cancelling bids and ending a listing early because the seller's desired price has not been met to avoid reserve fees" In his reply he quite clearly states this is the reason why he cancelled the sale of both the radiator surround and radiator.

JT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000