Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG91
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2014 :  08:20:48  Show Profile
I have not double checked but I thought the first MG was an MG badged Raworth bodied Cowley of which several sold in 1923 so why was MG 90 not held last year or has the question already been answered ?

TH

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  19:36:47  Show Profile
Perhaps this image of the Morris Garages advert published in the Oxford "Isis" on December 5th 1923 may answer the question?

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  16:18:18  Show Profile
Further to the previous two contributions, Kimber ordered six (6) two-seater bodies from Charles Raworth, coach builders in Oxford. Cec Cousins, who was responsible for building these cars on a modified Cowley chassis, regarded them as the first Morris Garages product that could be considered an M.G. This information is taken from F Wilson McComb’s book ‘The Story of the MG Sports Car’ and Cec Cousins was still around when McComb was writing his book.

These Raworth bodied cars took quite some time to sell but we do know that (probably) the first one to be sold was delivered to Oliver Arkell in Highworth, Wiltshire on 5th September 1923. I have a copy of the original receipt for £300, which was £50 less than the advertised price.

Perhaps the most convincing reference in McComb’s book is to “A small booklet issued by the Company in 1928 states that M.G. sports cars were first introduced in 1923”.

If the M.G. Car Company stated that “M.G. sports cars were first introduced in 1923” then the 90th Anniversary was in 2013, not 2014.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000