Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Brunell Photos in today's Telegraph
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2014 :  08:10:01  Show Profile

including:

MG J2s make their way through a river at the Tarr Steps during the 1932 Barnstaple Trial

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/10968811/The-Golden-Age-of-Motoring-In-pictures.html?frame=2975800

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2014 :  10:20:11  Show Profile
The picture shows the Bellevue Garage Team of J2s, with Kenneth Evans leading, Doreen (with Nevil Lloyd doing the driving as Doreen was to young)in the middle and Denis Evans bringing up the rear.

This is one of the fabulous Brunell photographs many of which (but not this particular image)were published some years ago by Roy Bacon under the title of "The Golden Age of British Motoring" (Classic Cars from 1900 to 1940). A marvellous collection of pictures, let down by appalling captioning - with something like 100 or more errors in a book of under 200 pages !

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2014 :  11:37:05  Show Profile
The entire Brunell archive is now available - watermarked and in a fairly small format - on the MPL website. They've scanned all the images (nearly 5000 of them), but I don't think any research has been done to correct the errors which Colin mentions and which I assume Bacon probably took from index cards or other records at Beaulieu, where the original glass plates reside. The later pictures are particularly badly identified and I wonder if they were done from memory some years later after the original records were lost.

The search engine is a bit odd, in that if you add anything else to a search for Brunell it brings up the same result, with 4894 hits.

http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/Images?location_id=5&filter=brunell

However, a search for MG with no other parameters narrows it down to 'only' 1349, not all of which are necessarily Brunell pictures:

http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/Images?location_id=5&filter=MG
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2014 :  11:30:57  Show Profile
Thank you Richard, that is very interesting. On one occasion I was at the NMM Library at Beaulieu and I was mouthing off (as I am prone to do from time to time !) as to how anyone could have made such a todge-up with the captioning, bearing in mind that Bacon had written a number of other books on motoring subjects. I detected a degree of embarassment on the part of the Beaulieu staff, which I thought answered my query.

In fairness, I have come across a number of Brunell photographs, which he had captioned on the reverse side in his own handwriting - and he was quite wrong ! Done some months or years after he took the pictures, I would guess.

Colin B
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2014 :  14:41:44  Show Profile
It is a very good link, with some great pictures. There are a good number of MGs taking part in the 1934 B&HMC Brighton to Beer trial, including a picture of my M, which I was pleased to find. Type in Fingle Bridge to the search function and up they come.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2014 :  22:06:54  Show Profile
The photos have only appeared in today's Daily Telegraph here in North Bucks!

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000