Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Thanks Simon!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  22:27:26  Show Profile
A hearty Well done! to Simon Johnston for his superb article on J2 hoods in the latest Yearbook. Unfortunately it came about 3 months too late to incorporate his ideas into my own project. Although I just finished making a hood, side curtains, and tonneau cover for the PA, I found a few ideas that would have eased the process.

And a huge Thank you! to Ms. Spoelstra for yet another fantastic issue. You will be missed.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  03:42:30  Show Profile
Many thanks for your kind words, Lew. I have to say that John Morris and i had great fun doing the research. Unfortunately despite giving all this information to the chap who made my hood, he managed to get the location of the hood frame completely wrong with the result that it collapsed when being driven at about fifty miles an hour! I now have to insert locking screws into each side of the frame every time I use it. It also looks all wrong as the hood bows are level with each other rather than the front one higher than the rear one. Add to that some pretty poor workmanship and you can understand why there are no photos of the car with the hood raised and the side screens in place in the article. In fairness I should say that the chap who made it did offer me a full refund but as that would have left me without a hood with no time to get another one made, I settled for a substantial four figure discount after taking into account some 'computer errors' in the price he was trying to charge me. When all's said and done it actually works very well and keeps the rain out, which is what matters at the end of the day.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  08:16:19  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  09:24:57  Show Profile