Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 gearbox lost by UPS!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  09:41:58  Show Profile
Some of you may recall that I was making enquiries a week or so ago about the weight of a J2 gearbox as I needed to ship mine to England. I had originally booked it with DHL but when they came to collect it they refused to accept it because it needed to have a certificate proving it had been steam cleaned in side! So I ended up shipping it with UPS who have now lost it! Really, how can you lose a wooden crate weighing 45kgs?

But just it case it isn't lost, but has been purloined by some light fingered employee, if anyone hears of a complete J2 gearbox suddenly appearing for sale, do please let me know. I have the serial number of my gearbox, and photos of certain specific identifying marks and features that would make it easily identified.

Simon J
J3437

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  10:02:09  Show Profile
Simon, so sorry to hear of your loss. let's hope a gearbox is not lost, just temporarily unsure of its position!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  10:18:53  Show Profile
Thanks, Dave, I hope so too. As you can imagine, I'm with the six out of seven dwarfs who, when surveyed, said they weren't Happy!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  11:46:45  Show Profile
Simon

What terrible service - lets hope they have only temporarily mislaid it.

I am sure you had it insured for a good value but finding another box wlll not be easy?

When a friend of mine asked what DHL stood for the operator said "Drop it, Hide it, Lose it!"

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 13/08/2014 11:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  14:30:19  Show Profile
Is there a singer out there who can write "UPS loses boxes" as in;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  22:16:36  Show Profile
Nice one, Dave. I may yet have to resort to that as there's no sign of the blxxdy thing yet and you can imagine how helpful and useful the 'customer service' call centre is.

George, I can think of a few a choice phrases you could make out of the letters UPS!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 13/08/2014 22:17:16
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2014 :  22:26:35  Show Profile
From personal experience, I always ask that packages (especially from overseas) NEVER be sent via UPS.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Allan Wettenhall

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  04:01:05  Show Profile
Sorry to hear of your experience Simon.I just had an excellent experience with UPS.I purchased a set of five wheels from MWS for my J2,They were dispatched on 1st August and I had them here (Aus) on the 7th.They went via Koeln Germany,Philadelphia US,Kentucky,Sydney then down south to me. Brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  10:21:32  Show Profile
Thinking about it, I think it was UPS who delivered my exhaust to a house about 7 miles from home &, when queried as to non delivery, were quite happy that they HAD delivered it. It eventually arrived, but what really amazed me was that some person happily accepted this long tubular thingy as though they had expected it. What signature they gave I've no idea!

Some strange people around.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 14/08/2014 10:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  15:24:10  Show Profile
Progress, of a sort! My gearbox is in Germany, in the UPS Lost and Found Department! Having failed to make any progress dealing with the "Customer Service" people on the phone, I eventually tracked down a phone number for the UPS depot in Tamworth where it was last scanned and an incredibly helpful lady there had it found in about an hour. The label had come off the crate and so it got sent to the Lost and Found Department until someone was able to identify it. Luckily I had photos taken of the crate and its contents before the lid was screwed down so there was no difficulty in satisfying them that it was my crate and gearbox. Unfortunately it will be Tuesday before it gets to its destination - over a week late - but in this case definitely better late than never.

Now, how do I go about claiming a refund?

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 14/08/2014 15:24:49
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  19:12:22  Show Profile
Unbelievably Poor Service?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2014 :  21:39:09  Show Profile
Poor service or not this is brilliant news Simon. I guess your home leave couldn't have come at a better time; tracking it all from Tiblisi I should think would be murder? On second thoughts no, of course you're still there aren't you?

Glad it will be at its intended destination soon.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 14/08/2014 21:40:34
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2014 :  02:36:09  Show Profile
Unbelievably Poor Service? I like it, Andrew. I think I'll share that with them today.

You're right, Dave, still in the hot and sunny Caucasus but I'll be home before my gearbox reaches its destination. My original plan had been that it would actually have been on its way back to me by then with its input shaft repaired (the reason for its trip to England in the first place), but I suppose I should be thankful for small mercies. Given the number of phone calls I've made back to the UK this week, had I been having to use the regular Georgian phone system I dread to think what the cost would have been but with the wonders of the internet, however, such calls are virtually free.

I should add that the lady in the UPS depot at Tamworth offered to refund the shipping charges in view of the delays which I thought was a nice gesture and one I gratefully accepted. The plan now is hopefully to take a car over to 'the mainland' in ten days or so to collect the gearbox when it's repaired.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2014 :  07:45:19  Show Profile
Simon

For your and other's future reference, it is normal Courier practice to refund the charge if the goods are not delivered to their time intended schedule (assuming the recipient is present to receive the goods and accepts them). Always ask and expect agreement.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2014 :  07:54:49  Show Profile
Thanks, Ian, but that certainly wasn't the impression I got from the 'Customer Service' call centre. I hadn't actually intended to ask the lady in the Tamworth depot as I didn't think it would have fallen within her remit so it was a nice surprise when she offered it. But I had in fact already written to UPS asking for a refund.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2014 :  12:43:12  Show Profile
I have found, from experience, that it is best to print the address on the package, complete an invoice with contents and shipping address on a piece of paper and include inside the box. Now if the UPS shipping label is lost the address is easily identified, contents on the sheet inside the box, and the box can be delivered. It is true, UPS, and other couriers, handle packages roughly and damage often results or the shipping label is lost. I recently sent a box of four MGA 10" alfin brake drums and new brake shoes to USA through UPS. Three drums and the six shoes arrived as scheduled. The box had broken open and one drum was missing. Many phone calls, start of insurance claim, then thankfully the lost drum and last two shoes arrived 3 weeks later at the destination. So all is well that ends well. Bob, Canada
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000