Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 craigs list
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2014 :  10:08:32  Show Profile
If he's genuine, he might like the extra free advertising!

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2014 :  10:59:40  Show Profile
His address and a couple of answers to my emails, he may be french? which might explain the strange grammar.

Miha Bercu
18 Harbour St
Peterhead
Aberdeenshire
AB42 1DJ
4miha.bercu@gmail.com
LLOYDS TSB BANK PLC
SORT CODE: 309344
ACCONT NUMBER: 17481560 this appears to be a branch in Essex.

I worked in Essex over 5 years, my account was opened there. Is that a problem?
I don't have any other MG parts
Regards
Miha

Let me know when the funds was wired. Meantime I will prepare the delivery

Regards

Miha

monday between 9am-4pm let me know exactly when you'll be in Peterhead and I will waiting you.

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2014 :  16:38:06  Show Profile
The only way I would contemplate doing a bank-to-bank transfer is if I was collecting the goods and could launch a payment using on-line banking while I was with the vendor. It also hinges on his being able to verify arrival by the same on-line method. The transfers are much faster now so you could probably complete the process over a cup of coffee. You could use a trusted proxy to do the collection and he could check the goods and mail you pictures so that you are 100% happy before releasing the funds. A transfer is irreversible and with most scams the money is transferred out of the scammer's account before the victim realises he's been scammed. (I'm a retired banker. We used to get constant warnings about this sort of thing. Because people buying cars have learnt the lessons and take precautions, the scam seems to have shifted to high-value spares, where buyers are so desperate to get something rare, they let their guard drop.)

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2014 :  13:02:00  Show Profile
Miha Bercu - according to my wife, is highly likely a Romanian name. Miha is likely to be short for Mihael (Michael).

My wife, now British is from Romania, and when I mentioned this matter, she said be extremely cautious about dealing with somebody from that neck-of-the-woods asking for a bank transfer!

I have no problem with Romanians (I married one ) but some get bad press and there are very good reasons for that!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2014 :  11:11:42  Show Profile
My last Harley came from Fraserburgh. The fellow had six classic motorbikes, stored on a farm.
He worked on the oil rigs. Toys bought with the cash he was pulling in. I think he "lived" in Essex, if he was ever there.
There are many people earning a good wage but without a proper address in Scotland.
This gentlemen sold all six bikes together, as he was posted elsewhere and just wanted shot of them. So, potentially suspicious details can make sense.
I have had issues with a rogue on Ebay, who sold a pair of SUs "just off a car" Fused so solid you couldn't move the pistons with a crowbar!
I got my money back and Ebay are keen to track iffy people. This seller called himself MG Man.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2014 :  15:00:37  Show Profile
I've just had a cracker - spotted it straight away but played along for a bit.. I had placed an advert for a particular component for another car in that Club's magazine (available on-line) Got a reply from a woman in Australia saying she had 'just the part I was looking for' and would I care to buy it. I replied, asking for a photo, 'just so I could be sure it was the right one' and had this in reply..

Hi Barnes.

I have trying to attach the file but i think is working due pc
problem, I am asking for $350 including the delivery via ups on 3 to 4
working days for the Singer Junior Instrument Panel,Get back with your
complete shipping address and cell for the postage.

Many Thanks.

I laughed... but cant be bothered to continue with the game. I have better things to do with my time...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2014 :  21:02:37  Show Profile
During a MGCC Caledonian Centre rally based just north of Aberdeen, I was able to do a short detour to Peterhead, to knock on the door of 18 Harbour Street last Sunday morning. The young lady who answered had never heard of anyone by the name of Bercu, and knew nothing about the sale of car parts from that address. Caveat emptor!

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2014 :  21:06:11  Show Profile
Slightly off topic, you may enjoy this way of dealing with a Nigerian email scammer: http://www.419eater.com/html/bigman.htm

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2014 :  22:40:35  Show Profile
Hmmmm.... Wifey was right (for once)

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2014 :  01:33:18  Show Profile
There is another, absolutely safe way of paying for an item at arm's length.

I have on several occasions, used an ILC - International Letter of Credit, often shortened to LC. This is done between his bank and your bank.

You set the terms of sale, and if he agrees, he sends the goods and the bank holds the cash. Upon arrival, if the product meets the conditions of the ILC, you sign-off on it and your bank releases the cash to his bank. Costs a few quid for fees, but gives a good assurance of an honest deal.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2014 :  07:17:56  Show Profile
Interesting Gord! I have to drop in at my bank later and will investigate that in case I ever need to do something like this.

I have not heard of this method before, but it certainly sounds quite a good option

Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2014 :  23:40:52  Show Profile
Craigs list and Craig are scams, BEWARE.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000