Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1932 500 mile race Horton MG ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  13:36:54  Show Profile
When we tested at Millbrook in the K3, we were faster than the "neutral" speed at the top of the banking. It really focused the mind that close to the barrier. A modern Aston was testing at the same time & remarked later the K3 driver could be seen bouncing in the seat as he followed the car round. Millbrook is supposed to be smooth, but the effect of the increasd spring loading on the (primitive) suspension only highlights any irregularities. Anybody who could lap Brooklands at over 100mph really did deserve a medal in my book, and to think that some men even did it on bikes!

Incidentally, Ron was due to attend the sessions at Millbrook, but alas his health was failing & could he not make it.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  13:40:58  Show Profile
In the museum at Brooklands there are a number of Silver stars for bikes - but bikers have always gone that little further across the line between madness and bravery!

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  13:56:40  Show Profile
Whilst Laystall were manufacturing cranks in both the twenties and thirties I think, if my memory serves me correctly, that the early counterbalanced cranks used in racing C types and J4,s were made by Ambrosia. I think they also made cranks for Alvis and others. If you have an Ambrosia crank it is likely that it will be stamped with their name. I have one somewhere that came out of a J4 and again from memory I think it is very similar in appearanceto to the Laystall pattern.
Perhaps that is what you have Ron.

TH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  18:00:48  Show Profile
Whatever Ron has, somebody went to a lot of time & effort to make them. Logic says it came out of something pretty special. Although the Horton car is accepted as being "broken up" after it went over the top of the banking, just about anything that was still usable would have found it's way onto other cars or into someones' spares box, so maybe they did do some time in that car. Sometimes, the heritage behind these stories is genuine & sometimes just presumed over time. When what was left of the K3007 body bits came to Dad from Phil BP, there was this huge (non-std) Zoller with MG cast into it. For years we assumed that this "one-off" must have been the Zoller Gardner ran with the car. Eventually, when trying to make up an installation it just wouldn't fit. Carefull examination of period photos, blown up on the PC showed it was indeed wrong for the car. So where did it come from? 70 odd years on - I find this sort of stuff fascinating, but puzzleing. Any body else out there seen J2 back plates made of alloy & wondered where they came from as well?

JH
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  19:33:02  Show Profile
So if someone was to collect some of those parts which are possibly from the broken up car and claim they were from the original car could they rebuild the original car and register it as the genuine article ?
Maybe if they had the chassis with the correct number, and the brass ID plate and perhaps some other identifiable parts all with unquestionable heritage then that should be acceptable. Its an interesting question.

TH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  21:44:38  Show Profile
At the risk of being controversial, it's been done. further more, some of these cars have FIA papers - I'll get my coat!

On a lighter note, I was given a "basket case" Bentley for my 40th. It needs a lot of work, but the hub spinner has polished up very well, all I now need is to aquire all the other bits!

All racing cars lead hard lives, now as then, with many replacement parts. As long as everyone is honest with what they've got, nobody gets hurt - or is this a naive point of view. It is perhaps a pity "our" cars are now viewed as investments, rather than fun things to own?

JH
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  00:30:16  Show Profile
There is an artists impression of the Horton slim line C type in the October 1932 Motor Sport accompanied by a race report won by Horton that reads as follows "All sorts of rumours were rampant about his speed in practice, and the sight of Horton being carefully inserted into the slim little single-seater body - a process involving the removal of one side of the cockpit - caused a stampede of fortune-hunters in the region of the bookies with a corresponding shortening of odds"
The engine that Charlie Duerden may have been refering to as mentioned by Ron was possibly the ex Horton R Type engine that I sold to him many years ago and is now with Karl. I have no certain proof that this engine was ex Horton I purchased it in the late '50s from Bill Short - I have the engine details and numbers if anyone is interested.
I assume Horton had an earlier C type as he advertises it in the December 1931 Motor Sport with a full spec stating that it finished second in the Irish Grand Prix (first day) I think the reg. no. is RX8585 - the last digit may be incorrect the photo does not make it very clear. Or did this one become the slim-line ?
Mention of Horton made me dig out a quantity of receipts from KLG dated from 21/4/34 to 4/8/34 for the supply of various plugs, mostly supplied in batches of 6 & 12 so guess for the K3. During that time it looks as though he had nearly 200 plugs apart from those returned for cleaning and resetting. Did the K3s have such an appetite for plugs.
I obtained these from the service department of KLG where I was seconded when the usual operative was away.Sad isn't the old bits
and pieces that we keep. Any use to current Horton car owners ? - Bob
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  09:56:48  Show Profile
The car that came second on the first day of the Irish GP was indeed C 0254 with Horton behind the wheel, registration number RX 8589. This one became the single seater. I believe Horton lived next door to Jenson and they came up with the idea of the new body.
As far as I am aware, the only C-type he owned was 254, so it is most likely that the car wasn't sold and he continued to use it.

Regards,
Cathelijne Spoelstra
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  14:12:35  Show Profile
Bob,
Only plug receipts maybe, but we have a box full of "niff-naff" associated with Ron & 007 & would be very grateful. Dad & I will be at Silverstone if you intend to be there, otherwise I guess you know Dad's address to post.

Regards

JH
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  00:16:47  Show Profile
Jeremy - All being well will be at Silverstone with Horton plug receipts to which you are most welcome. Bob
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  08:21:04  Show Profile
Cheers Bob,
We'll see you there.
Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2008 :  15:56:45  Show Profile
In reply to McEvoy's first E-mail, I have not seen any references to the Horton car ever being fitted with an R type engine, but of course, the ex Mike Edmundson C type, now owned by Mike Dowley was fitted with an R type engine. (can't remember the chassis No.)
Ron Grant
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000