Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Service/repair of Altette horn
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2014 :  13:33:29  Show Profile
Does anybody know who makes service/repair of Altette horns? My spare horn gave up after an initial "honk" and I'd like to have it functional as a spare.

I'm grateful for any information!

Jan Widung
PB 0635

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2014 :  13:38:01  Show Profile
Perhaps the most well known expert for Altettes is Taff the Horn.
http://www.taffthehorns.com/

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2014 :  23:54:15  Show Profile
Hi Jan,

They are pretty simple devices and fairly easy to diagnose and adjust.... with some excepted failure modes...
You can find a copy of a copy of an article that I used it to 'repair' my horn here: http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/12/12-520-16.pdf. It was quite straight forward.

Regards

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  00:31:57  Show Profile
Nick (F),
I suggest that this (http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/12/12-520-16.pdf) article from Andrew is worth consideration for the Technical downloads.
Also perhaps this topic should be in the Technical forum?

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Fock

Hi Jan,

They are pretty simple devices and fairly easy to diagnose and adjust.... with some excepted failure modes...
You can find a copy of a copy of an article that I used it to 'repair' my horn here: http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/12/12-520-16.pdf. It was quite straight forward.

Regards

Andrew

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 30/09/2014 00:35:15
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  08:26:13  Show Profile
Here's a slightly silly question, what sort of tone should one expect from an Altette. I get a rather emasculated 'meep' from mine, hardly manly enough for a J2, one would have thought. I've heard similar on other cars. After an overhaul, could I expect anything more 'forceful'?

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  08:56:30  Show Profile
Thank you for these leads - I'll start by trying myself and if that work ends without a beep I'll contact Taff the Horn!

Jan Widung
PB 0635
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  13:35:02  Show Profile
Good idea Bruce. I will ask them for permission to put it on our site.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  14:03:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Orstin

Here's a slightly silly question, what sort of tone should one expect from an Altette. I get a rather emasculated 'meep' from mine, hardly manly enough for a J2, one would have thought. I've heard similar on other cars. After an overhaul, could I expect anything more 'forceful'?

So many dynamos

Hugh

Not a silly question at all. I bought a couple of parts from Taff and asked him what current my Altette should draw. I was mildly chastised for asking an inappropriate question. He said you should set it up for the 'correct' sound and the current will be whatever it is. So I set if for about 3 amps.

If I remember correctly he said that the two principal factors which affect the sound are the thickness of the paper washers under the chrome bezel and the current drawn.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  14:48:21  Show Profile
The reason why the horns dont work is they have lost there magnetic field. If you split the horn,get a strong magnet and remagnetise the horn magnet, then clean the points with a file put it back togther then it should work
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  15:00:35  Show Profile
Greg,
There are no permanent magnets in an Altette horn that I have ever seen, only electromagnets activated by the electrical current.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2014 :  15:40:21  Show Profile
Sorry your right lew ive not done one for a while its a current from a 12v battery what reactivates it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000