Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 valances
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MIKEB

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  15:34:09  Show Profile
Probably everyone, except me, knows the answer to this! Are the two valances actually joined at the front under the radiator (if so how) or are they just free floating?
Cheers Mike

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  17:36:04  Show Profile
Mike,

This is how my valances are joined at the front.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MIKEB

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  07:23:46  Show Profile
Thanks Simon,
An elegant solution.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  10:54:57  Show Profile
Mike just for information I can confirm that original J2 valences on cycle wing cars were not joined in the centre. The front section of the valence measured about 10 inches - originals vary slightly. If you relate that to the inside dimension of the valences when fitted it means they just met or slightly overlapped in the centre.
Replacement valences are usually made longer and in my opinion it is better to create a neat overlap with the fold line on the centre line of the radiator where the join would have been originally, not offset to one side as in picture above.
There is no need to fit a screw at the overlap but you can of course do so if you wish.
As an aside I would also recommend anyone ordering new valences to ask for them to be supplied in two separate sections - front curved section and vertical panel. This makes their final fitting much easier and when everything is aligned you can tack weld the two sections together and do final weld on the bench.
Hope this helps

TH

Edited by - tholden on 04/10/2014 10:56:14
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  12:26:22  Show Profile
Interesting. My J2 is as per Simon's with a screw. My F has a wire inside the rolled back edge of one side that inserted into into the rolled edge of the other... Both would appear to be original. Not sure whether the J seam is central or not, will have to go and look...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  12:57:01  Show Profile
My D has the rolled in wire setup as well.
A very elegant solution I must say and apart from the bonnet the only original panel I have for the car.
My D is one of the last produced so could there be a change over after that?

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  15:51:58  Show Profile
Hi Peter
Here are 2 pics of original J2 valences both from cycle wing cars. The front sections are all +/- 10 inches long which allowing for the metal of the flange over the chassis each side means that there must have been a small central overlap originally.
As can just be seen in the photos close examination of the way the metal is shaped along the front sections allows for one side to overlap the other.
I also have some other originals the same and some from a swept wing car, not accessible at present,but from memory I think the swept wing ones are slightly different. Have never seen J2 ones with a wired front edge but it is a good idea to interlock them in this way. Of course they may have been made in different ways during production although I have seen quite a lot of these over the years and they have always been the same as the ones in attached pics.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  12:00:13  Show Profile
Just to add my ha'porth -- on my long wing J2 the (original) front valance is as Terry describes and meets in the centre with a minimal overlap. Someone in the past has drilled a hole very close to the edge near the centre line and the 2 halves joined with a small nut/bolt and "penny" washer below. Simon C. (J4199)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000