Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Body rebuild
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oiley

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  03:55:55  Show Profile
Just a question if I was silly enough to rebuild a 1936 KN body is there suppliers that would have new / s/hand internal hardware ,doorlocks handles etc ,external trim & things like indicator arrows [just below back window] boot hinges etc or do i beg second hand , and has anybody replaced the timber with steel[ in my case I can"t weld wood]Stuart.just a thought?

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  11:48:55  Show Profile
Not silly at all, you would get lots of support, I am sure. One of the Airlines was re-built with a metal frame, not sure which one but there will be lessons learnt there!

I think internal hardware would need to be begged, borrowed or... second hand! Careful matching with other makes would probably be required. Many bodies must have been discarded so the hardware may still be around...

Regards,
Graham
Registrar, Triple M Register
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  20:48:15  Show Profile
Hi Stuart

I am not sure if your car is a saloon or a tourer - you mention a back window?

If the car is a pillarless saloon then you might get some help from either Bob Grenau in Canada or Peter Prosser here in the UK. Both own very nice K saloons.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2014 :  23:17:25  Show Profile
yes I own KN0389, restored to original condition. I have many photos of the restoration and can help with details if you decide to go ahead.
Bob, Canada

Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  04:01:37  Show Profile
Such an elegant car.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

Oiley

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  08:33:39  Show Profile
Bob, beautiful car, the body is a 4 door pillerless, my problem is its only a rough body , no interior at all, has a dash, no instruments,.
Then there is the problem of a chassis and 4ft track, I was thinking of an extended 14" TA ch.but track is 3ft 9" any thoughts.
thanks again Bob for the offers .Stuart.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  10:05:22  Show Profile
A browse through the register shows that 29 KN saloons are listed as having been rebuilt as open cars (mostly as K3 lookalikes). One can only hope that the people carrying out these conversions had the wit to retain all the savable small parts that you're looking for. You should post a request in the "parts wanted" forum.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2014 :  22:04:16  Show Profile
Hi

Do I understand you have a body but no chassis?

A new chassis can be made. It would be best to go with the right thing, I think but there are then the issues over the eventual registration of the car. Maybe that is easy in Australia.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Oiley

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2014 :  08:52:15  Show Profile
Yes Peter, no chassis, possible TA? cost of manufacture in England plus transport down under ? possible here but no chassis No then no registration/ thanks for information good to get. Stuart.
Go to Top of Page

Oiley

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2014 :  04:54:11  Show Profile
Thanks to everybody for there support, [just need my wife"s now] will follow up on parts, if successful. Stuart.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2014 :  09:08:02  Show Profile
The chassis issue is an important one (obviously!)

Built on the wrong chassis you would have a great project and a worthwhile result, but its value (which, lets face it, we all have to consider) would be limited. The Register could not accept it without an original identity, which means an original (K) chassis. The additional expense of obtaining one would pay off in the long run!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2014 :  18:03:50  Show Profile
Apologies for spelling your name wrong Bob. Your car looks fantastic.

To resurrect a K saloon on an original K chassis would be superb but where would one find such a rarity as most now masquerade as K3 "replicas".

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Oiley

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  22:59:56  Show Profile
Graham and George,
I agree with the chassis idea, I didn't dare ask if any one had an old K chassis lying around , or even the dumb iron as a start.
At this point in time I think it's VERY important to save what is around , remember in 3/4 yrs time I'll be saying what happened to that old body ,[ O they used a few parts off it and junked it] Stuart
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000