Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Glass side light lenses
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2014 :  14:29:06  Show Profile
Anybody any idea where I can obtain replacement domed side light lenses for my M-Type. The units are cast and the lens has a wire circlip to retain it. Stafford supply a lens in a pressed steel outer which is just too large a diameter to fit my bodies. Also, I like the appearance of the heavier ones I have.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2014 :  17:53:54  Show Profile
Gregory' Auto Parts might be a possibility -

www.gregorysautoparts.co.uk

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2014 :  06:09:29  Show Profile
Thanks, George. have sent an email to them.
Tony
2M/0700
Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  19:42:04  Show Profile
Gregory can not help! Any other suggestions?

quote:
Originally posted by lyons-lewis

Thanks, George. have sent an email to them.
Tony
2M/0700

Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  09:08:37  Show Profile
I have a couple of similar lamps made by Remax. The interesting thing is that the 'glasses' are made of an early plastic or celluloid which has now turned brown and opaque. My lamps are no good for anything as the metal castings are disintegrating but I have two suggestions - 1. You cut out some plastic glasses, or 2. Buy the proper original Lucas - there are plenty around.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  09:28:05  Show Profile
In the old days jewellers shops carried replacement watch glasses - might that be worth a try? (Although you'd need to abrade them to make them diffuse ....)

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  10:43:11  Show Profile
Dick just beat me to it - I was going to suggest something similar: you could 'frost' the iside of the glass evenly and quickly with a bead blasting cabinet

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  21:40:34  Show Profile
Have you seen item 121493208987 on "flea bay"? Are they any use?

David
Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2014 :  15:08:43  Show Profile
Thanks very much for this. Have never bought on eBay but have registered and placed a bid as I think the ones with the rim are possibly correct. Tony
quote:
Originally posted by AFM781

David

Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2014 :  15:10:23  Show Profile
Good idea! I will try our local watch maker - Knysna is a small town and we are limited with availability of many items!!!
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

In the old days jewelers shops carried replacement watch glasses - might that be worth a try? (Although you'd need to abrade them to make them diffuse ....)

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2014 :  15:24:55  Show Profile
The lamps I have apparently came with the car and I assumed they were correct! Did the M originally have the pressed metal torpedo-type? I think it is a 1130 number? I know the bodies were black and the lens bezel chrome. Were they solid, ie no red eye on top?
quote:
Originally posted by IAN JUDD

I have a couple of similar lamps made by Remax. The interesting thing is that the 'glasses' are made of an early plastic or celluloid which has now turned brown and opaque. My lamps are no good for anything as the metal castings are disintegrating but I have two suggestions - 1. You cut out some plastic glasses, or 2. Buy the proper original Lucas - there are plenty around.

Ian

Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2014 :  07:52:14  Show Profile
I believe that to be correct - black body, no red 'tell tale'... iirc, the rims of the lens should sit relatively 'flush' with the body. later rims are somewhat more 'bulbous'. The humble and ubiquitous 1130 went through a lot of changes over its lifetime... Chris Blood started an interesting thread on the subject here - http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4845

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2014 :  10:59:26  Show Profile
For some reason a story is often repeated that M-types had only painted side lights. Period pictures show a mixture with mostly painted side lights on earlier cars and (in my opinion) mostly/entirely chromed later on.

The Lucas Parts list (below) for the M-type shows the side lamp as 1130/6v SP/CHR . Could CHR mean something other than chrome?

By the way,does anyone know when the red 'tell tale' was introduced in place of the brass medallion?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 29/11/2014 11:13:04
Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  06:11:26  Show Profile
Lost out on the eBay exerciseA mad flurry of bids at the last minute saw the price escalate furiously!!! Oh well!!!
quote:
Originally posted by lyons-lewis

Thanks very much for this. Have never bought on eBay but have registered and placed a bid as I think the ones with the rim are possibly correct. Tony
quote:
Originally posted by AFM781

David

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000