Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Spoof and fraudulent E-mail
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  16:24:57  Show Profile
I am sure that I am not the only one who has received an E-mail purporting to come from one of our distinguished MMM members who has apparently been robbed of money , mobile 'phone and dignity whilst holidaying in the Ukraine (!) and appealing for a loan ( to be sent by Western Union ) to tide him over and enable his return . The spelling and punctuation was of a standard unsuitable to this member , so the warning bells were very loud indeed . But just in case others get this message ....

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  17:15:25  Show Profile
Yup - arrived here as well. Risky holiday if you ask me!

JH
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  17:58:24  Show Profile
I have also received such an email today which purports to come from a Committee member!

As Jeremy states, a risky holiday.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  19:02:07  Show Profile
I got one this morning as well.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  19:44:31  Show Profile
Chances are that everyone in the person's address book got one.

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  19:48:35  Show Profile
Sorry folks, I got duped! Though I would welcome additional funds, don't send them to the Ukraine!

I have changed my password and told yahoo, but if you receive anything else suspicious please let me know.

From an embarrassed Registrar

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3106 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2014 :  23:17:12  Show Profile
How are 'they' getting the email addresses? Has an account containing these been compromised? Whose account contains the members email addresses?

It is ironic that meanwhile members have problems contacting one and other through the Forum email system.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  05:04:07  Show Profile
Sam,

The emails that many of us have got purporting to come from Graham would suggest that his personal email account was compromised in some way and the fraudsters then sent begging emails to people in his personal email address book. Those who got one of these emails will notice that the return address was slightly different to Graham's actual address - but just by one letter and probably not enough to catch anyone's eye if they weren't looking for it.

That's quite a different issue to the Forum email system not always working correctly and I don't think that anyone's account holds a central list of email addresses other than that held by Nick as webmaster.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 19/11/2014 05:05:15
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  10:19:10  Show Profile
I've not received this scam mail - possibly because I use a little programme called G-Lock Spam Combat - there are others out there - Mailwasher is also very good.

If however it turns up I'll edit this post asap

(Might be worth installing Ccleaner, a free tool that gets rid of rubbish on your machine and yet does not interfere with anything important, and also another free tool called SuperAntiSpyware. I've successfuly used these for years to keep gremlins out)

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 19/11/2014 10:23:34
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  11:52:07  Show Profile
For the record (and as a warning) I had an email purporting to be from yahoo saying I had used up my inbox allowance - I should have smelled a rat because they suggested I was using 250Gb, which is rather a lot! To recover from this situation I was to log in again, using a link they provided. Obviously this way they gained my contact details. I think that only people who have contacted me directly by email should be affected.

I am sorry if anyone has been inconvenienced by this, reading the email you would hopefully have realised the writer did not have a very good grasp of English!

They also wiped my email address of emails, which I may not be able to get back, watch this space!

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 19/11/2014 11:54:28
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3106 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  12:17:08  Show Profile
I have been receiving occasional emails offering some sort of business proposition relating to the Forum but I delete them instantly as 'spam'. I had not thought about it till now but I do not see how they have my email address in relation to the Forum.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 19/11/2014 12:17:40
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3378 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  13:22:34  Show Profile
Always be very suspicious of any link contained in an email that is going to require you to input any security/personal information even if it appears to be 100% genuine. It is always safer to go to the website yourself to access an account. In any event, always always check the address bar that the address is what you expect and begins with https: This indicates a secure, encrypted link between yourself and that site.
Only I have access to the member list of email addresses and I do not generally give out a member's e-mail address to anyone unless I know both parties concerned. If I receive a request for contact information I send the request on to the receiving party so they can respond if they wish.
It is probably not a good idea to put your email address in a post, if you wish to do so, I suggest you write it thus: johnsmith(at)mailsystem(dot)com or similar. Automated web trawlers would most likely not see this as an email address.
The forum email system seems to work for most members. Some are blocked by the receiving email providers who have labelled these emails as junk, others probably go into junk/spam folders.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3106 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  14:17:01  Show Profile
May I make a correction? I have discovered I did place my email address on the Forum some time ago and just such a trawl as Nick describes is the likely problem. So far nothing serious has come of it but the lessons are clear. Thanks for your wise advice Nick.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  17:12:06  Show Profile
Dear Dorothy Dicks.

All this talk of receiving fraudulent mail, spam, people asking/requesting for money or funds to be posted etc. makes me feel extremely depressed and is giving me an inferiority complex.

I'm not receiving any. Why?

Please help.

Signed.

"Saddened in Kansas".............................................
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  22:01:56  Show Profile
You're welcome to some of mine, Brian. Shall I forward a batch?

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

PMac

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2014 :  23:47:10  Show Profile
Lew,
I did drop you an email re joining the NA MMM Register. Just in case you thought this might be a scam email.
Regards,

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000